Many stews can be thickened with flour or corn starch, but this version avoids all that and replaces it with crazy amounts of flavor! Sometimes beef stew can be cooked to death, so every bit tastes the same and has the same mouthfeel (that is to say, is mushy). I share some tricks for getting the most flavor out of your stew possible, while helping the vegetables keep some of their own flavor and texture.
Grain & Gluten Free Beef Stew
For the Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp coriander seed
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes depending on desired spice level
- 1 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
For Stewing the Beef
- 2-2 1/2 lbs stew meat or beef roast cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil perhaps more, depending on dryness in pan during searing
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 ribs celery leafy parts are best, any part works
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1-2 whole bay leaves
- 14 oz diced tomatoes fire roasted preferred
- 3 cups beef bone broth
For the Final Cook
- 1 lb carrots cut non-uniformly
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes cut non-uniformly
- 6-7 cremini mushrooms thick sliced
- 1 handful parsley chopped
- 6 cups beef bone broth
- TT salt
Sear the Beef
- Heat your cast iron pot just below medium. Make the seasoning by grinding the coriander, fennel and red pepper flakes together. Add the remaining spices, salt and pepper, and mix together.
- Toss the stew meat in the seasoning until evenly coated. Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to your pot and sear the beef in small batches so each piece has space around it and steam can escape. Add more olive oil as necessary to sear all the beef, setting aside the finished batches in a bowl.
Stew the Beef
- Set oven to 325. Add the onion, celery, herbs and bay leaf to the pot with 1/4 cup or so of water. Saute for 5 minutes, making sure to scrape the fond from the bottom of the pot (that's all the good stuff left behind from searing the beef).
- Add the can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and 3 cups beef bone broth, stir, cover and place in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
Finish the Stew
- After 2 hours, add the cut up carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, parsley, and 6 more cups of beef bone broth. Stir, cover and put back in the oven for 1- 1 /12 hours until vegetables reach desired tenderness. Taste, season with salt if needed, and enjoy!