Salad doesn’t always feel “wintery” to me, but once the holidays pass and my body can’t take anymore sugar, I just need something fresh. But I also like to eat seasonally, when I can.
This Winter Salad features a lot of vegetables (root and otherwise), shaved super thin, and dressed in a sweet potato dressing with mild hint of curry. Some shaved Manchego (a sheep’s milk cheese) is a great addition, though optional if you prefer to keep it vegan.
Winter Salad with Sweet Potato Dressing
For the dressing
- 1 small sweet potato peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2-3 tbsp honey or agave nectar to make it vegan
- 2 tbsp Veganaise
For the salad
- 6 cups butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup sprouts or microgreens of any variety
- 1 cup chopped pea shoots
- shaved fennel bulb to preference
- shaved turnip to preference
- shaved Brussels sprouts to preference
- shaved carrot to preference
- shaved asparagus to preference
- shaved endive to preference
- shaved golden beet to preference
- shaved red onion to preference
- shaved Manchego cheese to preference - optional
Make the dressing
- In a small pot, combine the diced sweet potato, coconut milk, water, curry powder, and salt. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until the liquid has gone down by 1/3 and the potatoes are very tender. Pour into a blender.
- Add the honey and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Add the Veganaise and blitz a few times until fully combined. Transfer to a container, bottle or jar, and chill for 1 hour. Please note, the starch in the dressing and fat in the coconut milk will make it very thick when cold. Best served at room temperature, or you can thin it with water, stock, or coconut water.
Assemble the salad
- On a platter, add all of the salad ingredients and toss together gently. Dress just before serving and toss to coat evenly.