Everyone loves a good taco, but if you really wanna blow some minds, add some sweet, pickled vegetables. And before you convince yourself it’s too weird or would take too long, trust me when I say it’s not and it doesn’t. At all.
Made exactly as I do them, these tacos are dairy free, grain/gluten free (if you use the butter lettuce leaves), egg free, soy free – and nut free if you just leave off the macadamias (yes, what you see pictured is chopped up nuts, not queso fresco). But if you have no allergies, wrapped in a grilled flour tortilla these tacos are a perfectly-crafted meal that takes less than an hour to make – including the pickled vegetables.
Grilled Steak Tacos with Pickled Radish & Onions
For the steak
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
For the pickled vegetables
- 4 limes
- 1/2 cup coconut vinegar or white distilled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 6 cloves garlic peeled, gently smashed
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 7-8 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilis sliced
- 1/2 head white cabbage thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew yogurt optional
- tortillas and/or butter lettuce leaves
Heat the grill and prep the steak
- Preheat the grill to 450 (medium high). Place the steak on a tray and season evenly with all of the steak spices. Set aside for 10-20 minutes as the grill comes to temperature.
Make the pickled vegetables
- Whisk together the juice of 3 1/2 limes, the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the smashed garlic, sliced onion, radish, and toss to coat evenly. In a separate bowl, squeeze the juice from the remaining 1/2 lime over the sliced serrano chilis. Add the salt and pepper, and gently toss to coat.
Cook the steak
- Grill the steak for 7-8 minutes on each side, or until your desired doneness is reached. If using flour tortillas, give those a quick grill as well - 20 seconds each side.
Prep everything else
- While the steak cooks and your vegetables pickle, prep everything else. Toss together the cabbage and cilantro. Chop the macadamias and stir the cashew yogurt until smooth. When the steak is finished, let it rest for 10 minutes then cut it into cubes.
Assemble the tacos
- On each tortilla or lettuce leaf, add a bit of the steak, followed by the cabbage/cilantro, then the pickled radishes and onions. Then the macadamias, cashew yogurt, and a few serrano chilis if desired (they're spicy so, optional).
I hope you give these a try, even though they’re a bit on the fringe. Your taste buds will be well-rewarded, as well as those of anyone you make them for.