My family lived in Donetsk, Ukraine for a spell when I was a young. There are so many things from our time there that I remember so vividly, and borscht is among the top.
Borscht in Ukraine is like chicken noodle soup in America. We ate it multiple times each week, and though every person has their own recipe it was always clear we were eating borscht. My version is AIP-friendly (auto-immune paleo), and the addition of the short ribs is definitely a liberty I’ve taken (not likely to see it in many homes in Ukraine). But beef bones and stock are classic to the dish, so it works amazingly well.
Borscht with Braised Beef Short ribs
For braising the short ribs
- 8 beef short ribs silver skin trimmed off
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 qts beef bone broth
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
For the soup
- 1 apple peeled, cored, diced
- 2 large beets peeled, diced
- 1/4 head medium cabbage chopped
- 1 large parsnip diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 4 cups water
- TT salt
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- coconut cream or sour cream if you aren't dairy free
- fresh dill chopped
Braise the short ribs
- Preheat oven to 325. Toss the short ribs with the salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Put a large cast iron dutch oven (one that has a lid) on medium heat on the stove, and add the olive oil. Sear the short ribs on all sides.
- Add the bone broth and herbs to the ribs, cover and place in the oven for 3 hours.
Make the soup
- Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and add the apple, beets, cabbage, parsnip, carrots, water, and a couple pinches of salt. Stir to combine and add the short ribs back on top. Cover and put in the oven for another 45-60 minutes, until the vegetables and short ribs are tender. Be sure to scrape the fond from the sides and add it back into the soup. Lots of flavor there.
Serve the soup
- Put one short rib into each bowl. Stir the vinegar into the soup, then ladle the soup into each bowl with the short rib. Add the coconut cream (or regular cream if you prefer) and fresh dill. Serve while still steaming.