Happy Friday! I think everyone in our home is finally feeling better (Chris had pneumonia, along with Greta, and Polly was on the verge–they got her on antibiotics before it got worse) so we’re going to try to squeeze in a lot of our pre-halloween fall bucket list activities this weekend! We’re taking our annual family Halloween photo and going to the pumpkin patch and carving pumpkins and soaking in the season.
We have hundreds of trees on our property and so many of them are bursting with fall colors. I cut the yellow branches below from one of the trees and it almost looks like the leaves were outlined. Nature amazes me every day.
I shared this photo from our cabin at this time last year on my feed, and I never thought I would see fall like that again. But here we are, living in a home that we never envisioned being in, surrounded by trees that are so reminiscent. It’s been a heart-warming surprise.
Other fun things this week!
• My sister introduced me to the Instagram account @starterpacks_only and we died laughing scrolling through. They are just so accurate! After dwelling on it for a few days, we thought it would only be appropriate to make an influencer one…
Complete with a faux fiddle leaf fig, of course (this is a 6′ for under $80!), an arched floor mirror for selfies, the newest iPhone (I actually don’t have this but dream about it), high rise jeans that breathe at the ankles, blue light blocking glasses that are supposedly for screens but are secretly because they just want to wear glasses that day, and then the sunglasses they had to have because Meghan Markle also has them. Snake Skin sneaks, the area rug that everyone now has. The marble tumbler they won’t leave home without, the I-woke-up-like-this perfectly blush chapstick, a teddy coat, disc necklaces, the only candy worth eating, and clip in extensions to pump up the volume.
It’s kind of cringe-y and hilarious to see it all together. But most of all–accurate, right? Am I forgetting anything?
• Did you see BBC’s Interior Design Masters is now on Netflix?! It’s highly entertaining and was described as a mash-up of the Great British Baking Show meets Project Runway–and I agree completely. I watched the first episode last night and can’t wait to binge more this weekend!
• We made the big decision this week to do mostly all siding on our home with only a small amount of stone. It’s a big 180 from where we started and it will take a couple years to full implement but we had to decide this week what we wanted the exterior of our new dining room to be and we both realized the look of stained cedar siding is beautiful and classic.
We have referred to this home by Muskoka Living a lot and we’re taking notes. We are thinking maybe stone on the bump out where the big arched window will be but I’m learning more and more–it’s hard to get stone and stone placement right.
• The videos we made with GM in early September launched this week! The team was so incredible to work with and I loved their vision. You can watch all three right here.
• One of my favorite breakfasts is cloud eggs and turkey sausage. I happen to share it one morning on Instagram and everyone begged Chris to add cloud eggs to his Chris Cooks calendar. It’s definitely on our list, but then look what just popped up on one of my favorite blogs!? Cloud Eggs!
• I only use one purse at a time and I get a new one every 2-3 years. This has been my go-to ride or die purse that goes with everything for the past couple years. But I JUST ordered this one (20% off with code NEWLEAF) and I couldn’t be more thrilled with it.
Hope you all have the happiest, fall weekend!!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home