It might seem like we’re bouncing from project to project sometimes, but the truth is there is so much MORE happening behind the scenes that we don’t share day to day. Haha! I thought today it would be fun to peel back the curtain and share a look at our workflow and what projects (and product lines!) are in the pipeline. Every project goes through the same phases from brainstorming to a reveal day either here on the blog, or on Instagram. And by “reveal” I mean the project is starting, not the project is finishing and we’re sharing afters…that’s a completely different gantt chart. While the flow is the same, every timeline is different and we usually juggle multiple projects at once, but in different phases. I wanted to see for myself what it would all look like in a gantt chart, and of course I had to share. Here are all the moving parts of the different projects we have going on!
Some projects can get “stuck” so to speak in different phases. When it comes to the design phase, if an idea isn’t coming to me easily, I might set it aside and focus on what’s coming more naturally. This is kind of what happened in the dining room. I wasn’t getting the clarity I needed and I didn’t want to force anything. So I take a deep breath and go where I’m led. I didn’t plan to do our bedroom so soon, but it became the next natural place to go! I say when inspiration strikes, go with it! Sometimes making a decision can bring clarity to other spaces as well. Here’s all the projects we have going on, and the phases they’re in!
• Updates on the primary bedroom have been happening on Instagram stories and I promise we have a blog post coming soon! Installation of the beadboard on the ceiling and wall treatment is just wrapping up. Next up we’ll be painting the room a taupe-y brown with some black accents. I really felt like we were living in a white box and I was so inspired to add dimension and warmth. We made a plan, ordered product, and have recently got started.
•Project Bonneville is a top secret project that actually aligns with one of our product lines getting released in April. You are not ready for what’s coming! It’s incredible!
•We’ve talked a bit about the new upstairs laundry room we’re building out in this post. Still finalizing the design, but we’re also lining up our product selections for this space. We recently met with a plumber and electrician and will be pulling a permit for this space so we’re getting plans ready to submit for that as well.
• Greta’s bathroom goes hand in hand with the new laundry room build because we’ll be borrowing space from it! We’ll share a new floor plan soon, but basically instead of walking through Greta’s bathroom to get to the laundry room (current playroom), the hall will extend (with an added window at the end! eee!!) and you’ll turn right for Greta’s bathroom or left for the new laundry room. We’re still playing around with the design and talking through our ideas.
• Progress in the kitchen is surrendered to the arrival of the rest of the appliances. Here’s the most recent update!
• In the dining room, I’m mid-way between designing this space and ordering things I love. I’m content with the long game here and waiting for inspiration to strike. I’ve considered toile wallpaper for this space, to leaving it bright and airy (with maybe some trim??) I’m pausing for now and enjoying the new chairs and light.
• The backyard renovation is well underway! We were given an estimated 8 weeks until we have a fully completed backyard including all the pool, hardscape and pool! I’m also still finalizing furnishing and playset, but here’s the most recent update including a mood board.
• The newest decision we made on our home was to turn a portion of the previously known “playroom” (new laundry room) into a bunk room. You’ll access the laundry room for the hallway, but the bunk room will only be accessed through the hidden door! So fun! We’ve had a few cousins and friends stay with us since moving and we can’t wait to have a small, but mighty, space dedicated to cousin sleepovers (and sister sleepovers too). Still in the early brainstorming stage for that.
• I’m so excited about what’s coming for the entry! Still very much in the designing phase and listening to my home to figure out what this space needs and wants. Right now we have a floor mirror leaning in that hallway but I don’t think it’s there to stay. I’m imagining a lot of wall sconces.
• On our 2022 project list we shared we’re going to be turning the downstairs laundry room into a pool bathroom with its own exterior entrance. We’ve pulled a permit and now I’m pulling together a design plan.
• Almost every other day, Chris and I redraw our primary bathroom. We don’t even have this project on our to-do list this year, but that doesn’t mean that planning isn’t already in full swing. The shape is tricky so we’re taking our time to play with it and make sure it’s just right before we even get started.
• Lastly, but certainly not least is the CLJ Studio! This is our new office location that’s getting built out and the layout design is finalized! Finishes and products still need to be selected before we move forward!
Without giving too much away, here’s all of the product lines we either have released, or are working on. Some of them are top secret so we can’t give away too much, but this might give you an idea of all the different timelines we juggle. Also, this is kind of what goes into releasing a product in collaboration with a company. Some product lines we have been working on for over 2 years, while some are faster. But almost all of them take at least a year before you start seeing any promotional material for it. This is why launch day is always exciting and gratifying! Any guesses on these code names? ;)
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home