We get asked often if our girls are interested or involved in what we do and the answer has always been, “not really.” They have their personal passions that we nurture and don’t force design, renovating or home decor interests in their direction. But Polly. Polly, our sweet 2 and a half year old has already started showing deep interests in just about everything going on around the house. She has made friends with all the contractors, enthusiastically calling them by name when they arrive in the morning, “Hi! Dave!” She wants to hammer. She wants to clean. She wants to watch tile be laid and watch as Chris draws out closet plans listen in as 5 guys discuss exactly how they are going to finish framing in this arched window.
And just as I was calling for her to come with me to go play upstairs, Dave said, “No, she should hear this. It’s her house.” With a wink. It was such a sweet and gentle and thoughtful gesture to nurture her interests at such a young age. She listened so intently and when they pointed, she looked. And I thought–maybe she’s the future of all of this.
Other fun things this week.
• The 12 Houses of the Zodiac. (Can I trade in my Saggitarius for a Libra?!)
• I renovate for a living but this before and after kitchen is STILL blowing my mind. Seeing a space take on a whole new life is so incredible.
• “We didn’t talk about decoration but a kind of philosophy about how we live now and how we will live in the future,” explains designer Axel Vervoordt of reimagining Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s California estate. “We changed the house by purifying it, and we kept pushing to make it purer and purer.” In practical terms, those lofty ambitions translated into a transformation of the proportions of the house’s many rooms, all of which are sheathed in a luminous, off-white plaster. “The proportions are the decoration,” Kanye says of the rarefied architecture. (I REALLY wish we could see more than 10 very cropped photos, but interesting to see how people choose to live so differently nonetheless!)
• This seemingly simple bedroom is MADE by that quilt.
• This olive striped top I wore almost broke my DMs this week! (I take a small–TTS) And it’s on sale! (pants and shoes are both a few years old–sorry!)