This month we shared our favorite fall candles, and shared Andi’s budget kitchen makeover, and finally made the list of our favorite house-warming gifts. We gave the family room a dramatic makeover and now we hang out down there ALL the time. We laid peel and stick floor tile, and ogled over our finished stone outside. We hung curtains in the dining room (which turned out to be more controversial than I thought it would be haha), and shared all about our budget for the exterior. Chris made mulled apple cider (my favorite!) and peach cobbler. We thought, “Surely by the end of September, our house will be done!” And here we are and it’s not. But we feel really good about everything we DID get done in September. And we’re so grateful for all of these moments you may not have seen yet, either…
Besides the moments, there were a few things that I tried, bought, watched, or listened to and loved this month to share–
1. Wool Top Coat: $159 I can’t wait to dress this up and down all season. I’ve wanted a LONG camel wool coat for a few years, and this one is soft and warm and long and gorgeous!!
2. Waffle Pullover Sweater: $69 The easiest top to wear. It’s lightweight and colorful…but you know, not TOO colorful. ;)
3. Madewell Momjean: $64 I liked these so much, I bought them twice. Not kidding. Can’t beat the price or the fit.
4. Treat With Kindness Sweatshirt: $45 Our Propertee Fall launch is tonight at 7pm MST and we’re launching a bunch of new stuff. Keychains, socks, totes, mugs, tees and sweatshirts. This Treat With Kindness sweatshirt felt so important for this year when we could all use a little more kindness.
5. White Orion Bowl: $99 This bowl is $99, which is A LOT for a bowl. But it’s also the largest bowl–so big!! It’s perfect for a centerpiece.
6. Brown Novah Pitcher: $55 I got this pitcher this month and it hasn’t been without stems from the yard since it landed on the counter. It’s pitcher perfection.
7. Pillow Insert: $18 I get a lot of questions about what pillow inserts I use in my throw pillows on the chairs and couches around here-THESE every time. They’re inexpensive but make a HUGE difference. Go up a size. So if you buy a 20×20 pillow/cover, fill it with a 22×22 insert.
8. Side Table: $119 I wasn’t able to snag much before the Fall Studio McGee Target line sold out, but I DID get this side table for $119 and it’s still in stock and I’m so confused why. It’s INCREDIBLE!!! I put it in the girls office and I’d 100% recommend.
9. Hand Soap: $28 Confession–I love buying hand soap. Packaging matters so much to me and this packaging was so sweet, I bought it for the girls’ bathroom. What’s better–It smells EXACTLY like Tulips. We also got the Clover sent and it’s uncanny.
10. Platinum 1-Inch Styler: $166 My Chi straightener from college went kaput and after a lot of research, I ended up buying this one and I can’t shut up about it. My hair is SHINY again. It heats up in 20 seconds. It’s SO GOOD.
11. Biotin, Collagen & Keratin Vitamins: $25 After almost 2 years on my other hair vitamin, my doctor told me it’s a good idea to switch it up. (did you know that?! I guess your body can get used to and almost immune to a vitamin) so I switched to this one and I am loving all the benefits. The biggest thing I noticed is a decrease in joint pain!
12. Ceramic Canister: $18 I can’t get over this little ceramic jar I got for the girls bathroom. It could be 3x the price–don’t tell them.
13. Hiker Boot: $179 I got these during the Nordstrom sale and it’s stupid how much I like them. I feel like they could make me outdoorsy. If anything could–it’s these boots!
14. Platform Lace-Up Shoe: $84 Okay, but actually these are the comfiest comfiest shoes. I feel like I’m walking on a cloud all day long in them!
15. Day 7 Did you listen to this special episode of Dax Shepherd’s Armchair Expert podcast? It broke my heart but also healed it. It was so vulnerable and moving and HUMAN. I didn’t realize how long it had been since I heard a public figure just be human and it was so refreshing.
16. Alone. You can watch it on Hulu or Amazon Prime. Chris and I have been watching Alone and we’ve already worked our way through two seasons this month! They literally drop people in remote places ALONE, with a go pro and 10 items of their choosing and whoever lasts the longest (66 days, 87 days?!) gets $500,000. I don’t think I would last 3 days but it’s also incredible to see the lengths people go to survive and the lies they tell themselves to leave.
Happy October! This, this is the month our exterior is finished right? ;)
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home