There are at least 6 people that I’m close to in my life that are moving or have recently bought a house (and I’m sure at least a dozen more that have in the last year!). Every time I scramble to find something to send them as a housewarming gift. Buying a house or renting a new place is a BIG deal. It’s exciting and stressful and momentous and it’s nice to send something to acknowledge that and also help them settle into their new home faster.
Most recently, Chris’s brother and sister-in-law moved into their new home and I actually searched OUR OWN SITE for house warming ideas only to come up short. That simply won’t do. I immediately jotted down a list…that just grew and grew until I got to 25 IDEAS that go beyond a candle (not that there’s anything wrong with a candle)! And then I went to work finding a few examples of each idea, so that from now on–when someone in your life or my life moves, I have a guide and you have a guide and we can all help each other celebrate new homes a little easier.
25 Housewarming Gift Ideas
1. Large Vase. I’ve said it before, but there’s nothing that will serve you (or your loved one) more than a large vase. It’s so versatile! Cut some fresh flowers and deliver!
2. Dinner Bell. I’m a sucker for a dinner bell. We grew up with one calling us to dinner and our family uses one. I think they provide that quintessential “we’re home” feeling.
3. Little Rug (doormat). A doormat is such an easy gift, but I’d go with something more general or classic or even a patterned coir. Alternatively, a 2×3, 2×4, 3×5 rug can go SO many places from under a doormat, to in front of the sink to inside of the door. Both are great ideas!
4. Candle. You. Can’t. Go. Wrong. (But you’ll also probably not be the only one sending a candle, fyi)
5. Plant. I love a fresh plant or wreath or even some herbs for the kitchen! It will immediately add life to their new home.
6. Large Bowl. For serving, for the entry, for a centerpiece–a large bowl is essential decor that can be used in so many spaces.
7. Salt Cellar. The first time cooking in a new home is almost as momentous as the move itself. A salt cellar brings the experience to the next level.
8. Tray. Similar to a bowl, a tray can go ANYWHERE. We also included some charcuterie boards here which are the best functional decor out there.
9. Pitcher. I’m 34 and I own 2 plastic pitchers. That’s it! Every time we have company over, I wish I had something more. This gift will inspire guests or make the every day feel even more special. Bonus! It doubles as a vase.
10. Linen Napkins. Elevate the every day and help them start fresh by shipping a few special napkins there way.
11. Pillowcases. To celebrate the new place that you’re laying your head. (I even wrote the card for you.)
12. Candlesticks. I think one of the fastest ways to make a house feel like a home is making memories. And I, personally, really love those memories to include candlesticks.
13. Throw. A home should be cozy and is there anything cozier?
14. Coffee Table Book. Who doesn’t love a coffee table book?! I see NO HANDS. Because everyone does. Not only will they inspire, but they just look so good set out.
15. Storage Containers. I’m not even kidding, the most fun I had when moving into our new house last year was organizing the pantry. In fact, I felt incredibly unsettled until I did get organized so I highly recommend this practical gift from personal experience.
16. Toaster. Functional, but make it cute! I asked my sister what she wanted for her housewarming gift, and she requested a toaster! Like–I CAN DO THAT!!
17. Reusable Tote. To bring their new grocery store or checkout the new library. For me, a reusable tote empowers me to head out and explore my surroundings.
18. Catchall. From the entry table to the nightstand, a catchall is a stylish and convenient place to drop anything.
19. Address Stamper. One of my favorite gifts to give because it’s something you generally don’t think of buying for yourself until you need it and then it’s too late. These are so charming.
20. Light Bulbs. This might seem weird, but when we moved into our house so many of the bulbs were that cool 5000K that didn’t feel home-y at all and I was amazed at what swapping a few bulbs did. I also included a smart bulb starter kit and a smart outlet which will improve anyone’s life. (ps. 3000K or bust on bulbs!)
21. Pretty Keychain. For their new house keys!
22. House print. Either of their new place or the place they just moved from. They’ll cherish it always.
23. Tree Sapling. To start planting roots in their new place.
24. Edible Treat. You mostly can’t go wrong with a consumable (as long as you know they don’t have any eating restrictions.) It is a celebration and what’s a celebration without snacks!?
25. Home is a Feeling Tee. Because that’s what it comes down to.