This is a dish that is good to have in your back pocket, because of how versatile it is. Rich flavors, but also amazingly light due to being mostly vegetables. Pair with pasta, polenta, rice, or just eat as-is.
Sausage & Peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 links Italian Sausage
- 1 large zucchini squash large diced
- 3 any color bell peppers cut into 1in squares
- 1 large yellow onion large diced
- 5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 5 sundried tomatoes chopped
- 3 handfuls cherry tomatoes washed
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice fresh squeezed! - not concentrate
- 2 sprigs thyme fresh
- 2 sprigs oregano fresh
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup basil fresh
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley fresh
- Heat a large cast iron dutch oven to medium heat and add olive oil. Sear each sausage on both sides, remove and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to the pan if necessary. Then add all the other ingredients except the basil and parsley. Cut each sausage link into 3 pieces and add back to the pan. Sausage should be under cooked at this point, so don't taste any!
- Cover with an offset lid and simmer on medium low for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. About 20 minutes in, use the back of a wooden spoon to smash the cherry tomatoes.
- Remove the lid and simmer on medium heat for another 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and become smooth. Turn off the heat, add the basil and parsley, and stir. Serve warm with your favorite starch or eat as-is.
|Cutting Board||Knife||Cast Iron Dutch Oven|
|Wooden Spoon||Ingredient Cups||Pepper Mill|