If your throw pillows are looking a bit flat and sad, it’s likely your pillow insert isn’t ideal. If you can (most covers unzip!) swapping out the insert can drastically improve the look of your throw pillow–but not every insert is created equal. I’ve bought many a pillow insert, and have discovered that it can honestly make or break everything. So how can you tell which pillow insert is the best?? Well I bought the top 5 pillow inserts from Amazon and put them to the test so you don’t have to! The biggest things I want out of a pillow are density, weight, comfort, perky corners, and of course a good chop! Here’s what I found.
Sidenote: Always size up your pillow insert. If your cover is 20×20″, get a 22×22″ insert for a fuller, more dense looking pillow.
5. Foamily Starting in last place, contrary to its name, this pillow isn’t actually made out of foam, but more of a synthetic polyfill. This pillow instantly filled with air upon opening and the covering is more of a mesh material than a cotton which isn’t a deal breaker but it is odd! This one is the most lightweight which I don’t love, and it also has the quickest “rebound” when you squish it. Bounces right back, so you couldn’t get a chop if you wanted to. This one can’t stand on its own and there’s no filling in the corners. Bottom line: I wouldn’t recommend this one. $19 for a 22×22 and 9 size options (which is a bonus!)
4. Edow Next in line, this pillow came VERY flat. I definitely had to work with it a bit to fluff it up, but overall it fluffed decently! It’s lightweight, which means it can’t stand by itself. It’s hard to get the lumpy fill spread into the corners, which means they don’t have a very stiff point. It’s actually surprisingly comfortable! $18 for a 22×22″ is a great price point, so if you don’t mind a slightly lumpier pillow, this could still be a great option. This pillow only comes in 5 size options, all square.
3. MoonRest This pillow came super small and rolled up but fluffed up really nicely after some work. It has a much heavier weight to it, especially compared to pillows 4 & 5. I would love if the corners were just a bit pointier and if it would stand on its own. After a good chop, it stays for a bit but does spring back. I do love that this is a down-alternative rather than a polyfill, plus it comes in 20 size options! The 22×22″ is $24 which feels fair.
2. Phantoscope This insert came in close second was very easy to fluff up and took shape quickly! It’s a nice medium-weight and I love the finished piping around the edge. It can stand up on its own and holds a decent chop which is an absolute must for me! My one only teensy critique would be that I’d love a bit more density and weight to it. $21 for a 22×22″ is a price I can’t argue with though!
1. Pillowflex This insert is absolutely everything I want in a pillow–dense, full and heavy, stiff corners! I didn’t really have to fluff it at all and the shape is so substantial. I love a pillow with good stand-alone power and that’s easy to chop. Bonus points for being comfy to lay on! If you want the best of the best, I would get this pillow at the price of $27 for a 22×22″. It’s hands-down the best, but if you need one a bit more budget friendly, the Phantoscope pillow in second place is still a really great option!
Does anybody else nerd out on things like this? What products should I review next?
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home