Painting our A-frame black was one of the best decisions ever! Even though I pinned 50 black houses and cabins, when it came time to pull the trigger, I was still so nervous–but as soon as they started, it was clearly the right choice. The painters finally wrapped up last week and I’m here to share a few photos. These were taken two separate days, one overcast and one REALLY sunny (you’ll be able to tell which is which–ha!) The overcast day they weren’t completely finished, but I was able to catch some really true-to-life shots of the cabin. And the sunny day, everything is a lot more vibrant.
Here’s how the cabin looked in the listing. It actually didn’t have all the railings on, but you can see how vibrant the red stain was on the cabin.
Here’s an in-progress shot where you can see the deep orange stain a little more true to life. Also note the multicolored railings that were never painted. The more black they added, the more it felt like home.
Here’s how it looks today!
We used Cabot’s solid acrylic stain in black. It’s a great warm black and has a 15 year warranty. We also put a fresh coat of black (using rustoleum’s satin black spray paint) on all the railings.
As I was sharing some progress in stories, we got a lot of questions if we are keeping the roof the same–YES! The roof will probably out-last us. It’s in great condition and the copper color is so pretty and warm. I love the way it pops in the winter especially.
I took this photo when the painting was still in progress, hence the ladders everywhere. They ended up bringing a crane in to paint the chimney, so there was a little delay in getting the project done. All in all it took 3 weeks to paint the entire cabin (they used brushes and rollers for the entire thing!) and 15 gallons of solid stain.
Our total (not including the stain) was $3600 for the paint job, that included putting a clear coat on all the decking. I think we would have paid more to have someone do it quicker–but the only rush we were in was against the weather.
Inside, the contractors have all but finished the upstairs and have started framing in the new bedroom and bathroom downstairs. We are (somehow!) hosting Christmas up here this year, so the fun part has officially commenced!