A friend recently shared a styling conundrum: She’s started a collection of pretty vases and urns, but is not sure what to put in them. “Oh, why do you think you need to put something in them?” I asked her.
It’s true — I love a faux stem. And I’m guilty of cutting seasonal branches from our yard on the regular. But a beautiful vase, urn, or vessel can be a showstopper all on its own. (Hold our attention without holding any flowers, if you know what I mean!) And a collection of vases? Now, you have the opportunity for some classic layering.
I’ve bought three large-scale vases in the past two years, and they feel like the gifts that just keep on giving. I keep moving them all over our house: styling them on the dining room table, in the entryway, on the front porch. They’re workhorses! Like pretty sculptures, they look substantial and classic — Even when there’s nothing in them! It’s a simple lesson I realized and when it clicked: The vase is the art, it’s the focal point and the greenery or leaves or flowers or whatever you want to put in it only enhances the pottery–it was freeing and too life-changing to keep to myself.
I’ve gathered some inspiration from interiors populated with vases, urns, pots, and jars that look anything but empty. (See: Polished — without a plant in sight!) And I’ve rounded up a few of my favorites, by size, so that you can start a collection of your own.
Source: ATELIER AM
Source: All Sorts Of
Source: McGee & Co.
Source: Zara Home
Source: Croft House
Ready to get the look in your own home? Try these on for size!
- Carved Teak Urn – 10.6”Dia x 16”H, $148
- Bolton Black and White Striped Vase – 8.9″Dia x 11″H, $49.95
- Goldshine Vase – 2”Dia x 6”H, $18
- Scratch Vase, 11.5″Dia x 11.5″H, $128
- Artisan Vase Large, 12.25″Dia x 14.5″H, $99
- Artisan Vase XL Jug, 8″Dia x 16.5″H, $129
- Celia White Vase, 4.75″Dia x 5.75″H, $16.95
- Small Bottle Bud Vase – 5.5”Dia x 7.5”H, $29
- Dorr Round Beaded Stoneware Table Vase – 7”Dia x 6.25”H, $28.99
- Ceramic Vase Coated Finish White – 6”Dia x 9.75”H, $16.92
- Round Wood Planter Natural – 12”Dia x 8.66”H, $29.99
- Geometric White Vase, 5.8”Dia x 9.4”H, $18.74
- Ceramic Flower Vase with Retro Grid, 6.2”Dia x 6.1”H, $21.99
- Clear Barcelona Vase – 7″Dia. x 12.5″H, $34.99
- Ebele Indoor/Outdoor Planter – 13.5″Dia x 16″H, $134
- Morandi 5 Piece Table Vase Set – 4.25”Dia x 3.5″H to 2″Dia x 9.5″H, $68.99
- Aurelle Home Grey Rustic Cement Textured Vase – 19”Dia x 23.25”H, $178.39
- Carved Wood Planter – 8.4″Dia x 6.3″H, $24.99
Truth be told, you’ll still see me sporting freshly clipped branches and faux stems, too. But I hope it takes some of the weight off being reminded that these pots carry a beauty on their own.