A couple of years ago we tested a bunch of fall candles and shared the Top 21 Best Fall Candles. We’ve been dying to do it again, but this time with a twist. In addition to candles, we tested Pura scents and reed diffusers because there’s no wrong way to fill your home with yummy fall fragrances. Plus, since I shared My Top 16 Pura Scents for Spring, we got some requests to do a fall edition. So I present to you, the best fall scents for your home!
I cannot think of a better house compliment than, “wow it smells amazing in here.” It’s so flattering and it’s also why we went out of our way to Test 30 Different Hand Soaps. And if we know anything about fall, it’s that it’s all about the fragrances! I actually found this article that calculated each state’s most popular candle scents based on search history, and guess which scent came out on top? Pumpkin! We’re not even talking about fall scents specifically, just scents in general. Vanilla came in second place. That’s how you know people go wild about fall scents.
Now when it comes to Fall, I’m not your typical pumpkin spice, or maple vanilla fragrance gal. I prefer my fall scents to lean more towards woodsy and earthy. BUT, there were a few sweeter scents that won me over that I think anyone would love. Here’s what made the list!
If you haven’t heard of it before, Pura is a kind of smart fragrance diffuser with interchangeable fragrances all controllable from an app. My favorite features are that each device holds two different fragrances, and you can set each on their own schedule, AND you get to select the fragrance intensity! It’s pretty easy to set up, and then it’s kind of a set and forget situation (which is my favorite kind). Except don’t forget about it too much because then you’ll forget to switch the scents on your subscription and get the same ones for 3 months straight…guilty. You can get the Starter Set for half off here!
They have hundreds of scent options ranging from $8-$20 a scent, and you can read all about the scent descriptions on their website! Of course I had to weigh in with my thoughts as well and also give you a heads up to act fast! They’re known for selling out of their fall scents early! Here’s what I’m loving.
1. Pumpkin & Sweet Vanilla: I’m honestly surprised I love this one so much. I don’t typically like sweeter scents, but this one is somehow grounded and not too rich. I’ll definitely be putting this in my kitchen device around Thanksgiving.
2. Apple Orchard: The purest apple scent you’ll ever smell. Have you ever been apple picking and walked into the little mom and pop gift shop? This is that. Pure nostalgia and perfect for September.
4. Feu De Bois: I have this scent as a candle too and I never grow tired of it. This feels more like a late fall, transition to winter scent with notes of cedar, mountain spruce, sandalwood, amber myrrh, and more. So good.
5. Eden No. 1: Pump it through my veins! It’s warm and masculine. Honestly it’s a great all year smell, but the masculine, woodsy vibe makes it feel like fall.
6. Spanish Cedar: Okay, I know I keep on saying this but this one is another good year-round smell. It has a nice spice to it and the peppery scent makes it feel like September and October. Not to mention the amber, musk, and leather. Yum.
7. Tobacco & Patchouli: Time to rake the leaves! This one is a very nostalgic scent for me because growing up our backyard neighbor always smoked a pipe that smelled exactly like this–tobacco, cinnamon, nutmeg, sandalwood, and more.
No matter how much I love my Pura devices, they could never replace my love of candles. A candle is timeless. A candle is romantic, and cozy, and a key ingredient to my evening routine! Here’s all the fall candles I’m loving.
8. Rustic Palo Santo: I can’t explain why, but this one smells like you’re about to go Trick or Treating. It’s a little spicy because it has some clove in it. I will say, it’s not super potent when lit, but it comes in a diffuser and other candle sizes as well!
9. Warm Leathered Amber: Okay, Walmart did not let me down. The packaging makes it look more expensive than it really is–double wick, substantial size, and great price. It smells like a rich, warm mahogany.
10. Chai Latte: This is shockingly my winner! It’s not what I typically look for in a fall candle, but it’s somehow everything. It’s sweet without being too sweet–the perfect grounded sweetness.
11. Kettle Cup Simmered Cider: This is the daintiest, most beautiful packaging. I want to put it right next to my kitchen hand soap. It has a really fresh cider scent that’s not too sweet.
12. Checkmate Black Fig + Olive: If nothing else, get this one for the container alone. It’s so pretty sitting on any surface in your house!
13. Freesia + Pear: If you want something that toes the line between masculine and feminine–Freesia + Pear is your candle. It’s just a nice home fragrance that’s not too fall-y. If you want someone to compliment you on your home scent, this is it.
14. P.F. Candle Co. Teakwood & Tobacco: For when you want to go camping without leaving your house. Fresh outdoors, firewood, woodsy, warmth of apple and tobacco. Think flannel!
Lastly but certainly not least, we have reed diffusers. My biggest tip with a reed diffuser is to put it in your bathroom! For a space that needs a constant fragrance boost, this is the way to do it without remembering to light a candle, and remembering to blow it out.
15. Oakmoss Reed Diffuser: The description on the website for this one is spot on. It’s highly fragrant with a perfect, warm, earthy scent. Bonus points for the cute packaging!
16. Portobello Oud Reed Diffuser: This one–just buy it. It’s literally the most amazing warm hug. It smells like spices and antique leather furniture. The substantial size is going to last for a while!
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home
Make yourself right at home