I never lived in a dorm, but I did share an apartment with a gaggle of girls while I was in college. Even back then, I took special care to make my bedroom feel like me. I remember spending my paycheck as a waitress on a matching dishware set and sheets and things to make my apartment look really homey. With so many people going back to school and some 18 year olds leaving home for the very first time, I thought it would be fun to put together a dorm room mood board. If I were living in a dorm in 2022 (and was 18 years old), this is how I would decorate my dorm room.
I went really neutral on most of the things, from the collage on the walls to the bedding, and sprinkled in some color through the rug, mini fridge, and pennant. Basically, this is the right amount of graphic and color. Overall, I think it’s teetering on being a full blown responsible adult, vs. a teen and I think this toes the line really well.
1. Collage Kit $44 Really cool graphic wall art.
2. Laundry Bag $46 Carry your dirty laundry in this bag! I love that it zips up.
3. Linen Desktop Organizer $60 For a desk with limited space, this is going to add so much.
4. Wally Sconce $129 A plug-in wall sconce is really going to chic up your space in a snap. I bet you could even hang this with some heavy-duty command strips.
5. Swivel Pinboard Mirror $299 This is the coolest thing because on one side it’s a mirror, but swivel it around and it’s a pin-board. Put your hands up for functional decor.
6. These Are the Good Old Days Pennant $55 A chill-inducing reminder of what being in college is all about.
7. Scalloped Velvet Headboard $150 A twin headboard is going to elevate your bedding to the next level and really set you a part.
8. Marshmallow Puff Comforter $239 A really warm, cushy, textural element! Don’t you want to just snuggle up in this?
9. Banyan Potted Tree $55 The quickest way to bring some life into a room? A potted plant (even if it’s fake).
10. Jules Terracotta/Multi Rug $176 Even college dorm rooms need a rug. If you can fit a 5×7 great! Or maybe you snag a runner to put between the beds.
11. Mini Fridge $199 Essential for housing late night studying snacks and drinks and doubles as a night stand.
12. Underbed Storage $69 Using every inch of space as storage is key, especially under the bed!
13. Round Storage Ottoman $155 Again with the cute, functional storage!
14. Shower Caddy $15 I love the texture on this shower caddy AND the fact that it’s plastic so you don’t have to worry about it getting wet.
15. Velvet-Trim Sheet Set $90 Lastly, this crisp stripe bedding is so elevated and classic.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home
Make yourself right at home