A quick meal deserves a quick post, don’t ya think? Let’s get to it then.
Here’s what you need:
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 1.5 Tbsp sugar
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 10-15 basil leaves, chopped
• Salt & pepper to taste
This is not a ground-breaking recipe that will totally taste unlike anything you’ve ever had. But I keep seeing tomato soup recipes with long lists of ingredients and a crazy amount of steps. It’s tomato soup, people! Keep it simple, says I, and that’s what this recipe does.
Heat a pan on medium low heat. Melt the butter in the pan, and saute the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and sugar, bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to make it completely smooth. Add the cream and chopped basil and stir with a wooden spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste, done. And obviously I suggest serving with a nice grilled cheese sandwich. Classic.
I’ve honestly never been a fan of tomato soup, but this version is seriously delicious. Greta loves it as much as we do, and we’ve had it 3 times in the last month, because it’s just so quick, easy and tasty. Definitely a recipe worth keeping in your arsenal.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10-15 basil leaves chopped
- salt & pepper TT
- Heat pan on medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan and saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth using an immersion blender (or regular blender if you prefer)
- Add the cream and chopped basil, stir with a wooden spoon until soup is smooth and consistent.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.