If you’re ever around Julia when I tell her this is what we’re having for dinner, without exception you will hear her say, “That is my absolute favorite thing you make.” The flavor is rich and warm and perfect for cooler weather (or anytime, really), and it’s just a comforting meal. Paired with cardamom-scented rice, this will definitely end up in your rotation as a favorite.
Moroccan Chicken & Rice
For the Chicken
- olive oil as needed for searing/sautéing
- 6 servings chicken wings or drumsticks
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves smashed, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 quart bone broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 lemon quartered
- 2 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1-1 1/2 cups Greek olives
For the Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt to taste
For the Chicken
- Preheat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and the oven to 325. Once heated, add 2 tbsp olive oil and sear the chicken, unseasoned, on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add another tbsp olive oil to the Dutch oven and add the onions and garlic. Sweat on medium low for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In an ungreased pan, toast the cumin seed, coriander seed and black peppercorns. Once they being to brown and smell fragrant, grind the spices in a mortar & pestle or coffee grinder. Add the cinnamon and turmeric and mix together.
- Add the spice mix to the onions and garlic. Stir to mix in evenly. If the pan is too dry, add 1/4 cup bone broth to break up the fond.
- Add the rest of the broth, raisins, grated ginger, and lemon to the pan. Add the seared chicken and stir to combine. Place in the preheated oven, covered, for 1 1/2 hours for chicken wings, 2 hours for chicken legs.
- After 2 hours, remove the lid, add the cilantro, parsley, and olives, and roast for 30 more minutes at 375, uncovered.
For the Rice
- During the final 30 minute cook of the chicken, make the rice. Rinse the rice and add it to a lidded pot with the water and cardamom. Bring the rice to a boil, stir it, cover it and reduce the heat to low for 20 minutes.
- Make the rice dressing by whisking together the cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the dressing over it and gently toss to combine evenly.
- Discard the lemon wedges from the chicken. Add a scoop of rice to the plate and top with chicken and some of the sauce.
|Cutting Board||Knife||Cast Iron Pot|
|Wooden Spoon||Ingredient Cups||Microplane|