July was filled with highs and lows. It was the month that really felt like summer filled with eating outside and swimming and soaking in family time. But it was also the month our emotions got the best of us. To be honest, we experienced heavy feelings of buyers’ remorse as we looked around, an entire year after we started this renovation, to see our home still very much in shambles. It’s natural to think “WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!” when you’re in the point of no return. The exterior renovation wasn’t planned, but necessary for health reasons due to mold and man, it has taken a toll on us. It was the month we asked ourselves the hard question “Would we have bought this house if we had known the extensive renovation it required?” And the answer is N-O! But when it feels like there isn’t a finish line, or we have lost control of the endless amounts of contractors, we have learned to turn to smaller projects that we can control–like the closet, guest room, music room and playset makeovers this month! Those were so fun and immediately rewarding!
When I look back on these monthly videos (see July’s below!), I am reminded to not wish this time away. And instead of letting myself get swallowed up in the black hole of renovation, celebrate what we’ve accomplished, and more importantly, who we’re making this home for every day–our three girls are happy day in and day out (just TRY not to smile at that face at 1:51) and I’m getting my motivation to push through, from them.
Besides memories made, there were a lot of new favorites that emerged this month in our home, in our DMs and personal favorites!
1. Arch Mirror $199 I haven’t shown you these yet, but Faye’s bathroom got a new window, which knocked out the old large mirror and has spurred its own mini renovation that includes two of these adorable wood arched mirrors. It’s gonna be so darling.
2. Pratt Column Table Lamp $239 We used two of these lamps in the guest room and they sold out quick (but have been restocked!) They are stunning and substantial and I tried them in about 4 spots before they landed in the guest room.
3. Fox Print $49 Every time I show the music room, this print is asked about first! I bought mine framed on Chairish, but I found just the print linked here!
4. Acrylic Shearling Stool $499 I searched for a long time for a good piano bench that felt a little modern to go with Chris’s Great Great Grandmother’s piano we inherited and this stool has been perfect! It’s cozy and a great height!
5. Astrid Mother of Pearl Chandelier $699 A lot of elements “made” the closet. The mirror. The curtains. The pocket doors. But this chandelier–I love it every day.
6. Record Player $84 It was so fun to set up our record player that we got LAST YEAR in the music room this month. We’ve been adding to our vinyl collection and it’s been so fun to explore different music with the girls.
7. Bergamont & Amber Candle $22 My favorite scent this month. It’s warm, but summery.
8. The Face Illuminating Self-Tan Drops $49 I had a major oopsie this month where I accidentally spilled these facial tanning drops on the bathroom counter. I cleaned it up, no issue. But it must have gotten on my lotion container which transferred to my hand–WHICH CREATED DARK SPOTS ALL OVER MY HAND. When I shared the funny story on Instagram, the number one remark was, “Oooh! What facial drops do you use??” Haha. So! These are them. 2 drops mixed into my lotion twice a week at night.
9. Denim Oversized Ex-Boyfriend Shirt $54 This fits and feels like a black chambray and it’s already in constant rotation in my closet.
10. Dip-Dye Raglan Sweater Tee $44 This summeriest sweater has added a jolt of color to my closet this month, but paired with the sand color on top, it’s been an easy and fun way for a neutral color lover, like me, to do so.
11. Women’s Retro Run Sneaker $59 I bought these for the look, but I’ve already put 15 miles on them! They’re fun for running or paired with a summery dress.
12. Freedom Moses Sandals (Leopard-print, Snake-print) $45 I bought both of these prints thinking I’d return one but then I got them and felt them (they are SO COMFORTABLE!) and I have been wearing both so much. Win. Ners!
13. The Daily Crave Beyond Churros $20 My grain free, dairy free restricted diet doesn’t leave a lot of room for crunchy sweet snacks but THESE HAVE BEEN HEAVEN SENT. They are sweet and cinnamon-y and hit the spot every time.
14. The Last Dance I told everyone I knew to watch this Michael Jordan documentary when it came out (no need to be a basketball fan!) but now that it’s on Netflix–I’m telling everyone again. We loved this and I’m still feeling inspired by it.
15. Free Solo (it’s also available on Hulu) Another great documentary about free solo rock climber, Alex Honnold as he attempts to to conquer the first free solo climb of El Capitan’s 900-meter vertical rock face at Yosemite National Park. It came out in 2018, but we just watched it last week and it was EXCELLENT! We were on the edge of our seats, watching through our hands for most of it.
16. Love Handle Phone Grip $9 Added this little guy to the back of my phone and it’s better than any other socket, loop, ring or grip I’ve tried before.
July, you were pretty good after all. Bring on August!! Our baby girl, Polly, turns 3 tomorrow and we’re so excited to celebrate her! We have a couple more posts coming at you this weekend and then we’ll be back with new projects next Wednesday!