We made a lot of headway in the music room this week and it’s been so fun and we have A LOT to share here, but today I wanted to share a little bit about the leaning art on the piano–specifically the mix of frames.
The collection started as a fluke–a place to stash art that I wanted to hang eventually but over the weeks and months, I’ve been more intentional about the frames and pieces layered there and I love the vibe now. It feels collected and casual. A mix of vintage and modern pieces and frames! The frames are just leaning there, they haven’t moved or shifted at all, but if you wanted some extra non-slip protection you could put a small strip of rubber on the bottom of the frames.
To keep it interesting, I mixed in some more modern pieces and modern frame and I think that’s really key in this kind of arrangement! A little while ago, we kicked off a new series about essential decor–I’m talking about the little workhorses that tie together whatever room they land in. And if we’re investing in decor, shouldn’t it work in lots of spaces?? Our first post highlighted wood pedestals (seriously can’t have too many), but today I wanted to wax poetic about frames. Specifically a simple frame with a large mat. They are transformative and necessary!
They have the power to pull you in closer to take in what is framed. Or to add a touch of modern. Or to make family photos look a lot more cohesive and polished. They’re great mixed in a gallery wall (like this!) because they add some breathing room or as a pair and they are strong on their own. I always recommend mixing in some matted frames along with ones with no mats. Custom framing is nice for odd-sized pieces, but the great thing about a matted frame is they come in so many different sizes ready-made! Here are a few favorites.
1. Thin Gallery Matted Photo Frame | 14″ x 18″ Matted to 8″ x 10″ | $20
2. Mid Tone Picture Frame | 14″ x 14″ Matted to 5″ x 7″ | $25
3. Gallery Wood Photo Frame | 12″ x 12″ Matted to 4″ x 6″ | $29
4. Icon Black Wall Frame | 20″ x 20″ Matted to 5″ x 5″ | $34
5. Gallery Wall Frame | 17″ x 23″ Matted to 11″ x 14″ | $36
6. Icon Black Picture Frame | 25” x 25″ Matted to 11″ x 11″ | $49
7. Gallery Wood Photo Frame | 16” x 20″ Matted to 8″ x 10″| $49
8. Gallery Walnut Picture Frame | 18” x 18″ Matted to 8″ x 10″| $54
9. Brass Oversized Mat Frame | 17” x 17″ Matted to 4″ x 6″| $80
10. Large Rectangle Wood Galley Frame | 13” x 25″ Matted to 8″ x 10″| $89
11. Charcoal Wood Gallery Frame | 16” x 20″ Matted to 5″ x 7″ | $95
12. Floating Wood Gallery Picture Frame | 21” x 25″ with a 20″ x 24″ opening | $99 (this one is matted with glass ;)
More on the music room to come!!