This week, 9 months after the fire at our cabin, the plot finished getting cleared of all the debris. The investigation took MONTHS and in the end they declared the cause undetermined, which was heart-wrenching. It’s a weird thing being attached to something that no longer exists. Wanting to be somewhere that isn’t possible. We realize it was the memories we made there that we are deeply attached to. Of course, we wish we were able to make more but after seeing the cleared plot–we feel unattached to the land itself and ready to let go. We decided to sell the acre plot that overlooks the palisades reservoir and close this chapter of our life. I know not everyone will agree with this deeply personal decision, but we have an eager buyer so it’s already in the works and won’t be listed. It’s been a long process and year, with some legal aspects we would rather not go into; and even though it’s sad, it feels so good and right to be moving on. We still dream to one day have a cabin in the mountains somewhere. But for now, we’re happily focusing on our new home.
Other fun things this week
• Interior Define is having a 15% off everything sale through Wednesday, November 27th. We ordered the Charly sectional we designed with Interior Define for our office weeks ago, but knew they were coming out with new colors so we waited until we received swatches to order. And that happened this week! So it’s safe to say I’ve been consumed with swatches and squinting all week. Do we go out on a limb and do something fun like a rust or merlot? I initially fell for their Mod Micro in Shadow which is a dark green charcoal, but I caught wind that it was being discontinued soon and I knew that would be very frustrating for our audience down the road. If they weren’t discontinuing it, I would get that one. My favorite swatch from the bunch is their new Vintage Plush is Sisal. It’s neutral and safe (ie classic, wouldn’t look bad anywhere!) and that’s on the table too. If you’re color indecisive like me, you can still take advantage of the sale and choose the fabric later! (I love that they do that).
• McGee and Co is having their biggest sale of the year–20% off everything!–I have, literally, 13 things in my cart that I need to narrow down. Eeeek.
• Musical chairs (ha!)
• This couch I recommend to everyone is marked down to $539! It’s soooo good.
• Last week we shared tips for family photos and this week we shared on Instagram the reality of trying to take our own. Take a look below.
(We ordered Minted’s Wonderland Foil-Pressed Holiday Cards)
• You need to order this game for after Thanksgiving dinner! (We play with everyone starting with $4!)
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Over the weekend Brooke (our social media manager) and I went to the Parade of Homes in the Raleigh area and it was so fun to get a feel of how other people in our new area are living and living large! The purpose of the parade is so that home builders and designers can […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home