I had a realization this week when I was out to dinner with some girlfriends–Blogs are dead. I don’t think necessarily in the way that a few people said they would die a few years ago, but Wednesday night, one of my best friends looked me in the eye and said, “I never read blogs anymore.” “Really!?” I responded with a hint of desperation in my voice. Of course she knows I’m a blogger and she keeps up with us but explained that she can’t remember the last time she browsed all her favorite blogs through any sort of feed (or remember when they used to all be bookmarked at the top of your browser?!). Me, and a few others prodded, “but wait, you never swipe up when _____ shares her favorite _____?” Or when so and so links those articles? “Oh yeah, I read those.” “Those are blogs!” “Wait, I thought those were just websites!?”
I have noticed there’s been a mass exodus of rebranding happening. Blogs of yesteryear are dropping the name “blog” altogether for the more mature/obscure “website” or even “online magazine.” (I kind of like that one!) Chris and I have even started saying when people ask us what we do for a living, “We run a home renovation website” because “we’re bloggers” always elicits the most pitiful look. Haha. Posts are now referred to as articles. Bloggers are authors, writers, contributors, CEOs–why not!
Our readership is up 300% from last year (thank you!) so I know blogs aren’t “dead”, but maybe we’re just painting them white and calling them vertical shiplap instead of paneling? What do you think?
(prettiest bedroom via)
Other fun things this week
• We shared some surprisingly polarizing progress on our bathroom on Instagram last night, right here! Keep in mind the photo was snapped in progress, with my iPhone, at night, with a bare bulb in the toilet closet, but even with all those conditions–I’m still team wallpaper allllll the way. (But we don’t ever expect everyone to love what we love.)
• I discovered Emily Cosnotti (@thesweetbeast) this week through the guest participants of the one room challenge. I adore her guest room makeover and then fell quickly for the rest of what she posts on her instagram. Really beautiful photos and a fresh style. And then I discovered she’s from Pittsburgh–my home town! One to follow, for sure.
• I ordered 2 sets of these beautiful, modern outdoor lounge chairs (4 chairs total) for an upcoming 48 backyard makeover we’re doing for a family and the deal is too good not to share! The chairs are normally $249 for 2 –already a steal. But they were on sale for $212, plus an additional 10% off with the code DEAL and here another 5% off with my REDCard! 4 outdoor lounge chairs for $385–shipped! I’m not sure how much longer the sale is going, so snag them while you can!
• We hired a new intern this week! Her name is Maren and my favorite thing about her so far is she contacted us! She sent me a message on Instagram saying that she was a local university student and would love to talk to me about shadowing or mentoring opportunities. I have kind of been drowning lately and told her I’d love to hear more about what she was studying. She contacted me two more times (my DMs are sometimes slammed!) and once we finally scheduled an interview, she was a perfect fit. Chris and I do a couple guest lectures at the university a few times a semester (we’re actually doing one today! I’ll try to share on my stories) and love the opportunity to share whatever knowledge we have with someone who is really interested in the content creation field–did you know that’s what the class is called? Colleges now have digital content creation classes! It was such a lesson to me in going after what you want, persistence and all the gems that are in my direct message folder.
• My favorite striped tee (so thick and it has a pocket!) is on sale for under $30. You’ll grab for it all summer.
• We’re currently planning a meet up in Austin at the end of June! Eeee! We took a poll on Instagram stories of two major cities and Austin won–so pencil us in. We’re coming. We’re bringing refreshments and we’re gonna be ready to chat the night away…and then also hit up all the best restaurants.
We have a special Saturday post scheduled for tomorrow! So happy Friday and see you in the morning!