So much progress was made on the cabin this week! I’m actually having trouble sleeping because so much is happening at one time and being not right in the middle of it is both very exciting and also a little nerve-wrecking. The main fireplace is completely framed in, the HVAC is done and the floors are getting ready to go down. We live just a quick (beautiful!) hour from the Palisades, so it’s not unheard of for us to “run up there real quick” to check on things. Or for me to tell Chris, “Wait! no! wait for me to take down those shade sails. I’ll be right there to hold the ladder!” Which is exactly what happened this week. When we purchased the a-frame it came with these functional, but unsightly shade sales screwed to the front covering all the windows–the main attraction! We are going to be installing an undetectable film directly to the windows to help keep the sun/heat at bay instead, and it felt like Christmas morning to be able to take these down.
So. much. better already! It was done in preparation of the exterior paint job that is also happening right this very second. I showed a few options that we were leaning toward on my stories this week and for all of you waiting in anticipation–we decided to go with black. In the end, this is a retreat and boundaries should be pushed. It should be interesting. We’re so excited! Also, this cabin by @mowerymarsharchitects landed in my DMs more than I can can count. Yes, yes, yes! It’s going to be so good. We’re going to try to squeeze in a quick check-in today–hope to share a sneak peek on stories!
More fun things this week!
• Did you catch our annual home tour earlier this week? You may have noticed in our home tour that we layered a vintage persian rug in the girls’ bedroom. It kind of happened by accident! We moved the rug out of the guest room when we got the carpet cleaned and when we rolled out the girls’ striped rug, it needed some extra help laying flat–cue the persian rug we got from eSaleRugs to help weigh it down. And it looked so nice in there (plus, the girls said they felt like queens with it) that it stayed! It’s a one of a kind, but I found this rug on Target, of all places, that looks so similar and is so incredibly affordable. I’m not sure if it’s a fluke, but right now the 8×10 is actually cheaper than the 5×8 and 6×9–run!
• Have you watched The Good Place on Netflix? It’s soo hilarious and I love the quick, 20 minute episodes because usually anything longer I fall asleep in! We’re all caught up and can’t wait for season 3 to come out next week!
• I’d rather buy throw pillows, than purses which explains why I have been rocking the same one for years! But every time I’m spotted wearing it on Instagram, my DMs get flooded. Here’s my cross-body bag–she’s a keeper.
• Fun fact: our amazing intern, Brooke, took off the very jeans she was wearing (don’t worry–she slipped on a pair of mine) and shoes while she was working on this Propertee flat lay because she felt like we needed lighter, more worn options. (That’s dedication! And she was right. And also, dresses so cool!) Get the Indoorsy sweatshirt here .
• Something about the weather getting colder always has me eyeing all the socks. These rugby striped ones?–I’ll take one in every color!
• These workout pants are an amazing dupe to the lululemon ones and under $30!
This keychain has me written all over it.
Do you use a facial roller? I’ve heard such good things about them and when I saw this rose quartz one, with excellent reviews!, was on sale for $23–I pounced! I’ll report back.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home