So much progress was made on the cabin this week! I’m actually having trouble sleeping because so much is happening at one time and being not right in the middle of it is both very exciting and also a little nerve-wrecking. The main fireplace is completely framed in, the HVAC is done and the floors are getting ready to go down. We live just a quick (beautiful!) hour from the Palisades, so it’s not unheard of for us to “run up there real quick” to check on things. Or for me to tell Chris, “Wait! no! wait for me to take down those shade sails. I’ll be right there to hold the ladder!” Which is exactly what happened this week. When we purchased the a-frame it came with these functional, but unsightly shade sales screwed to the front covering all the windows–the main attraction! We are going to be installing an undetectable film directly to the windows to help keep the sun/heat at bay instead, and it felt like Christmas morning to be able to take these down.
So. much. better already! It was done in preparation of the exterior paint job that is also happening right this very second. I showed a few options that we were leaning toward on my stories this week and for all of you waiting in anticipation–we decided to go with black. In the end, this is a retreat and boundaries should be pushed. It should be interesting. We’re so excited! Also, this cabin by @mowerymarsharchitects landed in my DMs more than I can can count. Yes, yes, yes! It’s going to be so good. We’re going to try to squeeze in a quick check-in today–hope to share a sneak peek on stories!
More fun things this week!
• Did you catch our annual home tour earlier this week? You may have noticed in our home tour that we layered a vintage persian rug in the girls’ bedroom. It kind of happened by accident! We moved the rug out of the guest room when we got the carpet cleaned and when we rolled out the girls’ striped rug, it needed some extra help laying flat–cue the persian rug we got from eSaleRugs to help weigh it down. And it looked so nice in there (plus, the girls said they felt like queens with it) that it stayed! It’s a one of a kind, but I found this rug on Target, of all places, that looks so similar and is so incredibly affordable. I’m not sure if it’s a fluke, but right now the 8×10 is actually cheaper than the 5×8 and 6×9–run!
• Have you watched The Good Place on Netflix? It’s soo hilarious and I love the quick, 20 minute episodes because usually anything longer I fall asleep in! We’re all caught up and can’t wait for season 3 to come out next week!
• I’d rather buy throw pillows, than purses which explains why I have been rocking the same one for years! But every time I’m spotted wearing it on Instagram, my DMs get flooded. Here’s my cross-body bag–she’s a keeper.
• Fun fact: our amazing intern, Brooke, took off the very jeans she was wearing (don’t worry–she slipped on a pair of mine) and shoes while she was working on this Propertee flat lay because she felt like we needed lighter, more worn options. (That’s dedication! And she was right. And also, dresses so cool!) Get the Indoorsy sweatshirt here .
• Something about the weather getting colder always has me eyeing all the socks. These rugby striped ones?–I’ll take one in every color!
• These workout pants are an amazing dupe to the lululemon ones and under $30!
This keychain has me written all over it.
Do you use a facial roller? I’ve heard such good things about them and when I saw this rose quartz one, with excellent reviews!, was on sale for $23–I pounced! I’ll report back.
Can you share exactly what paint color the exterior is?
What is the name of the color on the charcoal house
I’m so glad you went with black for the cabin! I didn’t realize I was holding my breath – until I read “we decided to go with black”. It’s going to be beautiful.
speaking of throw pillows. serious question – what do people do with old throw pillows when they want to change out their old stuff? I really need new pillows, they’re getting ratty. but we need a new couch in the next year or so (ours is pushing 15 years old) and will conceivably need to replace the pillows again when we get a new couch. thoughts? help!
Please tell Brooke she nailed it! I was instantly engaged by that photo the second I saw it. My compliments!
I’m intrigued by the facial roller, but the link isn’t just taking me to Google.
I don’t think the link for the rose quartz face roller is correct. :/ Can you update? I’d love to know which one you bought! thanks!
Love the sweatshirt…and the scarf? Any details on the scarf?
Can you provide the actual name of the rug from Target? For some reason the link just takes me to the Target home page :( (could be because it redirects me to the Canadian site)
Thanks so much!!!
Maggie, that happens to me as well. The Whole Canadian thing….
The hubs and I just finished season 2 of The Good Place! Loove it!
Very interested in what film you are using on your windows? Our great room has 12 windows (stacked floor to ceiling) that have an awesome view of the woods behind our house. I hate covering them and the view, but we need glare and heat protection.
Thank you so much!!
I would love more info about this as well.
We watched the first 2 episodes of “The Good Place” last night!!! Our new binge, so funny!!!! I cannot wait to see your cabin painted!! It’s gonna be delicious and stunning! As always.
Would love to know the details on the window film you’re using. We have windows that I hate to cover but need some protection from sun & heat.
My sports bra are CRZ YOGA and I love them! Beautiful strappy back with a racerback style. Lined and so cheap! I’ve had them for a couple of years and they still look brand new. Great brand! (Goodness, I’m gushing. I didn’t realize I liked them so much. Should probably leave this review on amazon :)).
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
We recently painted our study a dark, moody green color. This is after we first painted it a muddy green, then repainted it a blue-gray. I guess what they say is true; third time’s a charm! The journey was worth it, though, because I’m so in love with this glossy green in contrast with the […]
We've been doing this since 2009 and we've posted a whopping 24145+ blog posts and counting. You might need a little help searching, huh?
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Welcome to our online community where we've posted home, DIY, style, renovations, and family since '09. Renovating our #cljmoderncottage in Idaho and headed for new adventures in Raleigh, NC. #cljfam #cljtransformations
Make yourself right at home
What do you think?