Pho is an amazingly complex, flavorful and comforting Vietnamese soup. And while the popularity of this soup has brought with it countless tutorials on how to make it, there are times where you crave it now and don’t have 18+ hours to slow simmer a bone broth. This recipe is rich, with flavors that mimic the real thing, but takes only 30 minutes to make.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion sliced
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 0-2 Thai chilis sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 2 servings pad Thai rice noodles
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 6 chicken wings uncooked
- 2 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves fresh
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 lime cut in half
- Heat a medium pan on medium heat. Add olive oil, cherry tomatoes and sliced yellow onion and sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced Thai chilis (if desired), garlic and ginger into the pan. Stir and let sauté with other vegetables.
- Cover rice noodles with hot water in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the tomatoes have broken down, add the bone broth, water, fish sauce, soy sauce, and miso paste. Bring to a boil and add the chicken wings. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce the temperature to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the wings are cooked through.
- While the broth simmers, prepare the bowls. In each large soup bowl (two total), place one mushroom worth of sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup of fresh basil, and 1 cup of bean sprouts.
- Optional: put a pan on medium heat. Once the wings are cooked through, sear them on all sides with a little olive oil.
- Add another cup of water to the broth, add the rice noodles and bring to a boil. Stir in the hoisin sauce and turn off the heat.
- Add 3 chicken wings to each bowl, then ladle half of the broth and noodles into each bowl. Garnish with sliced green onion and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
Things I used:
|Cutting Board||Knife||Soup Bowls|
|Wooden Spoon||Ingredient Cups||Gluten Free Hoisin|