We closed on our new-ish house yesterday! It was terribly anti-climatic, a formality really. Mostly because we had been living there for a few weeks anyway. We already had the keys. We’ve already started on a few little projects, but now that things are official–we’re calling yesterday our “first day.” Let the renovation calendar begin!
It’s no secret there has been a lull in house projects around here, in large part due to health reasons, but also because we really didn’t want to start painting the whole place until things were more concrete. T’s were crossed. I’s were dotted. This hasn’t stopped us from picking paint colors and testing a few (we’ll chat about those soon!). And now that the deal is a done one, our to-do list is growing. Did I mention we decided to throw our 3rd annual costume party, after all?? We did. It was a tough decision. Between personal setbacks and moving to a new house that isn’t near party-ready, we weren’t sure we were up for it. But, if there’s one thing we learned, it’s that there’s nothing like inviting 60 or so people over that gets us in gear. Before last year’s party, we paneled the living room wall, and gave the whole laundry room a makeover. We’re good under pressure.
The party is set for October 26th, 4 1/2 weeks away and we think we’ve come up with a pretty achievable list of things we’d like to do before that date rolls around. Namely:
1. Paint the “great room” including entry, living room, dining room, and kitchen and staircase. These are all connected so will all be the same color. We hope to tackle this one this week!
2. Decorate? For halloween, yes, but I’m actually referring to the everyday decor. Hang up some art. Get some throws and pillows out and about. Make it feel like someone actually lives here. Ya know?
3. Revamp the hall bathroom. This will be the restroom our guests use during the party, so we want to put some of our energy here. New paint. Paint the cabinetry. New lighting, mirror. A towel rack would be useful. Just generally make it feel a little more us.
4. Paint the front door. We actually want to do this one before a top-secret Christmas assignment, but it works for party prep, too. Our current front door is a really, really glossy maroon, like it was sprayed at an autobody shop? Not sure what the prep is to paint over that (do you??), but we’ll figure it out and get it done.
5. As a bonus, add recess lighting in the great room. Eeeks. That would be a big bonus, but would make a big impact. Lighting is such a big deal, and the humming fluorescents are cramping our style.
6. Party prep. Food, photo backdrop, awards. All of that fun stuff that makes us want to keep doing this year after year.
I’m easing back into blogging and projects, but we’re excited to check each of these things off and share all the details with you as we go. Does party prep get anyone else into gear?