Most of this week, I was terribly sick trying to adjust to new medication, but yesterday I woke up feeling so great so I took advantage and tackled a few spaces in our home. It’s been nice and peaceful to move around in our house with just us this week. Chris started our closet (more on that next week) and I ended up in the basement where I cleaned and organized and finally unpacked the last of the boxes from moving in last June. Immediately a weight was lifted. And bonus, we gained another space! (The basement will be our theater/media room).
As a few rooms in our house are finally getting bare-bones put together for the first time since moving in, I’m realizing/remembering that I sold a lot of our decor with our last house. Those finishing touches that make a room feel warm and lived in and have some personality. So even though our house feels empty…I’m plugging in things that we still have for now, but it also feels good to not fill those spaces with things that are just filler pieces. Instead of putting ______ there because I had it, I can really think about what I want to go there. Even if it takes longer to figure out. I’ve been so focused on furniture, that I kind of forgot about decor, but I’m excited to layer in those pieces over time!
• If you’re not already following @hauslove, you’re in for a treat. Interior Design firm, led by Heidi Woodman and their Sycamore Springs Colonial Project (above) was the source of so much inspiration for me this week. This living room is like the stylish aunt of ours and I’m taking notes! (more photos here!)
• This floral ginger jar came back in stock this week (I had notifications turned on for it!) and I snatched it up in the name of DECOR! It looks so much more expensive than it is and I can think of at least 3 places I want to put it in our house.
• Kelly Wearstler’s Master Class was released this week! For Christmas, I bought Chris the unlimited master’s class pass and he has been working his way through all the chefs (and LOVING it), but you know I’m putting Kelly Wearsler in the queue!
• THIS BEFORE AND AFTER GAME STORAGE was the most impressive thing I saw all week. I’m shook and inspired and my life will never be the same.
• You want to know something funny? I don’t own a denim jacket. Strangely, I could have SWORN I did and it seems like the most me item of clothing TO own, but I have been waiting for the one to kind of jump out at me. This week, I finally took the plunge and ordered this denim chore jacket which is kind of a great fresh shape for the denim jacket and I can’t wait to wear it all spring long!!! (plus, 25% off!!!). Somehow these puffy slides also ended up in my cart. :D
• Katie always inspires me and reminds me to have fun. I adore this little nook she posted.
• You don’t have to “make the most” of a global pandemic. Encouraging, peace-inducing words, right? I think I have been feeling a little bit of pressure this week–put on me by myself only–to produce extra content or share a lot of new and different insights because I’m used to being home. I’m good at being home. I’m fine (happy) being home. But this time at home also feels different and heavy and unsure and although we all may have some extra free time–it’s not normal free time. It’s a little bit weighted and definitely uncharted and I’ve accepted that “making the most” for me means making sure our family stays well. Period.
• Wednesday morning, we were supposed to leave for a family vacation to Cancun. Like many of you, our school has Spring Break around this time, and although it has felt sad to miss that fun vacation it feels nice to know we’re all in this together. There were tears from our girls, but we promised them some extra fun things at home next week (quick! give me some ideas! hahaha!), but that will mostly be family togetherness and not opening our computers…since that was the plan in Mexico. So I guess we’re going to take a Spring Break after all. At home, with our girls. We have some GREAT posts coming at you next week but if we’re more quiet than usual, we’re pretending we’re at the beach…probably literally, because ONE of the surprises for the girls is a VR system (virtual reality) that Chris ordered so that swimming with dolphins is not totally cancelled.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Stay safe and healthy!