We are slowly adjusting to life as a family of five. I’m still very sleep-deprived and weepy most of the time, but Polly has started giving me longer stretches of sleep at night and I feel like a new woman those mornings (we had a 5 hour stretch night followed by a 6 hour stretch night, followed by waking up every 2 hours! haha). At three weeks old, I’m just trying to cherish it all and take it all in and attempt to bottle that new baby smell. I’m not ready to completely dive back into DIY, but we’ve been tackling smaller projects here and there during her short cat naps and I’m learning that I really thrive off of seeing things around here progress again. Now, I’m just trying to see proof of progress in other aspects of my life. I struggle sitting around, but sitting and nursing in a glider all day is progress in its own right.
Other fun things this week!
• “PERFECTION IS A LIE. AND I AM NOT A LIAR.” Oh Sydney, this is my new mantra too, k?!
• West Elm is having an amazing sale right now. An extra 20% off clearance items at checkout with code EXTRASALE. I found a few things that are already marked down 50%, plus you get that extra 20% and the prices are just ridiculously good. Here are my best finds, but there’s so many more here!
Velvet Pole Pocket Curtains
Mid-Century Floor Lamp
Expandable Dining Table
Mongolian Lamb Pillow Cover
Architectura Whisper White Pillow Cover
Tidal Graph Wool Rug
Luxe Velvet Urban Bed
Diamond Crag Wool Shag Rug
Peaks and Plateaus Kilim Rug
Hourglass Wool Rug
• Living in the path of totality for the eclipse this week was so special. I didn’t know what to expect, really. But it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever witnessed in my life. It was spiritual and moving and phenomenal. No picture I have seen illustrates even a fraction of what we experienced. We are already making plans to travel to see the next one in 7 years!
• Chris wears t-shirts pretty much every single day, so when one of our friends told him about Wohven, a t-shirt subscription, his interest was piqued. He is now hooked! He receives a plain T and graphic T every month and the quality and fit is outstanding and the prices ($11 + free shipping for a plain T and $15 for a graphic) are actually cheaper than going to the store to buy a shirt. He said, “You should mention this in your Casual Friday post.” So here we are. :) Check it out here. Chris Marcum approved.
• Do you have a specific way you introduce a newborn to a pet? As soon as we brought Polly home, we allowed Charly to sniff her while we held her close to us, but it wasn’t until this week that I let them lay side by side on the floor. There was nothing but love and peace and gentleness.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
This week, we’ve covered all things bedrooms, from how to create a dark, moody, romantic environment to tips for renters upgrading their primary bedroom. I wanted to cap off the week with a fun little post on what you should remove from your bedroom and what you should add to your bedroom to make it […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home
Make yourself right at home