This has been a roller-coaster week! First of all, thank you SO much for the overwhelming response to the CLJ Design Services we launched with Modsy yesterday! It’s honestly such a dream come true and something we’ve been working for months on. To see so many of you just as excited has been so rewarding.
The downside of the week was when a project that I have been working on and designing for the better part of July got dropped by the sponsor. It was a shared boys room and considering we had never done a boys room, I was really looking forward to sharing my insights and the whole process and some great DIY projects around the room with you. Sometimes these things happen and it’s a part of the job, but considering all the design work was done and the boys already knew and were excited about their new room–it was harder to just walk away from. I decided to pitch the project idea to Lowe’s and they were on board to sponsor the room! While figuring out the space, I realized boys’ rooms are generally way more in my color palette of choice, but one of the boys requested his favorite color–RED! (#curveball) Can’t wait to take you along!
Other fun things this week!
• I got this yellow striped tee this week for a song, and it’s gotta be the happiest shirt in existence.
• Literally every day for the past 68 years. (made me laugh so hard)
• Chris and I finally finished watching The Staircase this week. Do you think Michael Peterson did it? (We both think he is innocent).
• Tamara Magel is a genius and this photo is giving me all sorts of cabin inspiration for our raw pine walls.
• Speaking of the cabin, we decided on and ordered the wood floors for the cabin this week! The response is mixed–some of you are so excited, some of you are confused or disappointed–but we can’t wait! (and strangely, we love a good split audience) See where we’re headed here!
• We answered so many questions about negative comments, whether we’re keeping the trampoline after Greta broke her arm, what we’d recommend if you and your partner can’t agree on a design, and much more in this week’s CLJ Q&A right here. One question we didn’t get to, but really want to was, “How do you make a new construction home feel homier?” I think there’s no way to add character and personality faster than art. And there’s not a room in our home that I haven’t added some form of art or photo to! Even inside of our pantry, I added a photo of Greta cooking from when she was little, matted and framed. You can find our favorite sources for art here. But don’t be afraid to look through old books, magazines or frame some candid photos like we did here. We love Framebridge for professional and easy framing, but if you’re on a tighter budget, buy a budget frame and to make it look even more special, go for a custom mat. (Usually any place that frames will do this for a couple bucks!) …Also, lamps make everything feel homier. ;)
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home