It’s hard to believe there’s essentially one work week left of the busiest, most surprising year of our lives. Although I’ve been blogging for nearly 8 years, it has changed so much every year and there have been many times where I have found myself at sort of a crossroads–unsure of which direction I should go. I’m not sure I always made the right choice or said the right thing but I’m proud of where it all has lead us. I’m anxious for 2017. We already have some major projects lined up, both in our home and, possibly, in yours too–and those are always our favorite projects.
We have a full post recapping all the projects and before and afters 2016 brought later next week, but for now, I’m trying to keep my head in the game and focus on finishing the projects still at hand, like the guest room. This week, I got into quite the tizzy about curtains. I let them get the better of me. Maybe you saw my frustration on instagram stories trying to find curtains longer than 84.” We live in a rural area of the country, but small town or not, we’ve given ourselves a budget for the guest room (like most Americans) and I’m determined to stick to it. Yet, I will never understand why every single curtain in our local target is 84″ long or shorter. There wasn’t one longer. I also checked Walmart. Same story. And furthermore! Why are there curtains by Nate Berkus online only available in an 84″ length? He knows that’s not an acceptable length for most homes. We have standard 8′ ceilings in our home and 84″ curtains are high-water or hung right at the window molding–not flattering. I’m confused why this is a thing. I’m confused who is buying all these 84″ curtains and I’m on a personal mission, starting right now!, to change it. (New Year’s Resolution?) I don’t think 84″ curtains shouldn’t exist, I just think that they big box stores should provide 95″-96″ curtains as the standard, readily available option, so they can be hung high and wide, and save the 84″ length as the online alternate. I think it would lead to better sales in stores, and better looking houses on the home front. Who’s with me?!
Other fun things this week:
• After, literally, years of wearing the same shoes, I got a couple new pairs this week as a belated birthday gift. These black loafers (on sale for $48!) and these warm Sorel boots Chris surprised me with. There’s no better feeling than when they know you so well, huh!
• Since adding the custom sectional from Interior Define to our family room, many many of you have contacted them wanting the same exact same thing–we’re so happy to hear that! And while you’ve always been able to work with them over email on something like it for your home, Interior Define officially launched a U-shaped Ainsley sectional this week on their site available with just a click, in a multitude of colors.
• What to get a baby? I want to give these little crocheted unicorn booties to every baby girl I know!
• This Arc Upholstered headboard is beyond!
• I’ve wanted a canopy bed for so long, and Jenny went and reignited that want. Drool.
• I love following this artist!
• Instagram had so many really good updates this week! And, in a sense, they are doing a really good job at becoming a one-stop-social-shop. They’ve added a live feature Instagram stories, very similar to Periscope or Facebook live. My favorite new feature is you can now save images by clicking on the banner to the right under any image and it will automatically show up in your favorites folder. Such a time-saver for me, as I tend to screenshot a lot of my favorite Instagrams and then have to sort through all my photos to find them again.
Lastly, now you can like comments by clicking the heart next to the comment made. It’s a great way for the poster to say thanks and a great way for followers to agree with a commenter.
….and thus continues Instagram’s complete social media takeover, amiright?!
Have the best weekend! My sister and brother in law get in tonight and I can barely contain my excitement!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Over the weekend Brooke (our social media manager) and I went to the Parade of Homes in the Raleigh area and it was so fun to get a feel of how other people in our new area are living and living large! The purpose of the parade is so that home builders and designers can […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home