We had such an eventful week getting home and recovering from the kitchen makeover we did for the sweetest couple in Baltimore–thank you for all the love on that reveal! We rested and worked from bed for two solid days (just long enough for my ankles to return to a normal size–haha!) before we felt enough energy to break out the nail gun, miter saw and caulk once again to add some pretty dreamy trim to the nursery walls.
As a refresher, here’s where the room was last week! So clean, so…plain.
There’s a million different ways and styles to add wainscoting to walls. We actually first looked to the height of the crib we had picked out for the room, because one thing we didn’t want was for the top of the crib to line up exactly with the top of the wainscoting, creating an uncomfortable tangent. Our crib is 36″ tall and we decided to make our chair molding a few inches higher than that.
Before we added any of the fun stuff, we had a few repairs to make. This room still had a phone jack in it (!?), so we removed that and used one of these handy self-sticking wall repair mesh squares and joint compound to fill in the space. And removed the old, smaller existing trim work around the room, too.
Metrie is one of the sponsors for the One Room Challenge and we had never worked with them before, nor were we obligated to at this time, but we are really impressed with the trim options and styles they had available online. This room had a few tricky areas–including an off-centered, large window–and we were able to to talk to the wainscoting pros before we ordered about what would work best in this room. We went with their Fashion Forward line which felt simple, but still impactful.
We started with the window and doorway and quickly moved onto baseboards and then finished our first trim day with crown molding. Crown molding is notoriously tricky, but our Kobalt miter saw comes with crown stops which hold it in place and make it much easier to get the right cuts. Love that thing.
In the morning, we started on the more detail specific wainscoting detailing. We decided to keep 2″ gap next to the walls and 3″ in between each box. We measured each wall, and subtracted the buffering inches, to determine how many panels each wall would accommodate if they were all the same size. We determined 3 was the magic number on the shorter walls and 4 on the window wall with each box being 33″ wide.
We kept a small level and measuring tape handy to keep the spacing just right and attached each trim piece using a bead of liquid nails and securing it into place with the brad nailer. Sidenote: Chris only wears his hat backward when his face is thiiissss close to the wall for a long time. Haha
With every piece of trim, the room was looking larger, which was a surprise to me. I think it’s because the room was starting to have depth to it. The other realization I started having was, this is gonna take a lot of caulk!
I put on a few of my favorite podcasts and the entire room took me about 4 hours to caulk and fill in nail holes. The difference may be minor in pictures now, especially before we paint, but the above was taken before caulking. And below is after:
Seams be gone! Something else that I should point out (or shouldn’t, because that’s all you’ll see in this photo now)–the trim that meets under the window is the same size, but this time of day, the shadow is hitting the inside trim on the left panel and the outside trim on the right, making them look like two different sizes. I had to go take my tape measure to it because I almost had a panic attack.
Wallpaper is going in later this week, which means we have a short window to get everything painted (and cleaned up for goodness sakes) before that gets installed. Catch sneak peeks of it over on my instagram, @chrislovesjulia, and we’ll be ready to show that off in next week’s check in.
If you missed week 1, where we spill our plans, you can check out that post here.
Check in on the other ORC participants below!