It has been an intense 3 weeks since we pulled the trigger on going for faux wood tile for our first floor instead of hardwood (as well as a few other options we looked at). A few of you asked how the process was going, so while we are technically still in the same place–womp womp–we do have a little update to share.
We’ve spent the last three weeks figuring out the radiant heating situation. Our main floor is half tile and half carpeting. This is a little embarrassing, but we actually legitimately thought we had heated flooring under the tile portion already. We have lived here for 5 months, we’re in the dead of an Idaho winter and our tile is pretty toasty. Also, when pulling back the carpet, we could see several layers under the tile that we assumed was radiant heat. However, since we were tearing up all that tile, there was no way we could salvage the heated flooring since it was sandwiched between mortar and cement–which was fine since we also assumed that all the radiant heat needed to be connected. Are some of you laughing at us? It’s okay. We learned a lot in the last three weeks. Most importantly, we don’t have radiant heat under our current tile.
What a surprise! We were floored. Since we live in a ranch style home, all of the heating ducts are actually in the floors of the main floor with our vents on the floors themselves (on the first floor –downstairs they are on the ceilings). So our floors have heat running under them throughout the colder months. I just started noticing things like the tile is especially toasty in the paths of the strategically placed floor vents (you can see two near the far wall in the first photo) and that Charly mostly hangs out snoring near an exterior door where the floor must be colder. Even with this knowledge, we were still planning on going forward with the radiant heating (call us stubborn) and called an electrician to come in since we would need to add 7 more breakers to our circuit breaker box to accommodate the heated flooring. Also, each room would have a flooring thermostat.Turns out, they stopped making our box model, so the breakers had to be special ordered from ebay, and it would have been almost the same price to replace the whole box. It wasn’t until we were at this point, sitting on this extra $800 expense that we decided to forego the radiant heat altogether.
Dana just posted about how not adding heated floors to the tile in her “everything” room was one of their biggest regrets–and I definitely cringed. We hope we don’t end up feeling the same way, but our confidence is coming from the fact that we currently have a lot of tile and it is the dead of winter and the tile is pretty warm. This Saturday, we have a crew coming to help move all our furniture downstairs and the demo will begin. We’re a little behind schedule, but not laying the heated flooring system actually shaves quite a bit of time off our time table anyway–so fingers crossed, we’ll still have it all done by the end of March. Even still, we decided laying flooring in the nursery’s direction first was probably the best way to go just in case.