We inherited some amazing trim work with the 90s colonial we bought just a few months ago, and I have been saving images and studying ways to add even more to our spaces as we tackle each room in the coming months and years. I’m convinced that adding trim and moldings to your walls and ceilings is the fastest way to add character to your home. A room that feels like a plain box can feel special and interesting when you layer in trim. And it can go beyond baseboards and crown molding.
Of course there are HUNDREDS of ways to add trim to your spaces, but these are 19 images that are inspiring me in our home right now:
1. via Anthropologie stacks on stacks on stacks of crown with a simple picture rail and extra tall base. Also noting the incredible door trim and how the crown and door trim and contrasting the walls, base and chair rail!
2. Lonny bringing the gilded accent lines within trim.
3. Studia 54 Okay, this ornate trim requires special architecture I think–I mean, that crown!! But the layered box trim is doable!
4. Photo by Alan Metheringham dividing the room into magical thirds with this special wall trim. Really smart for super tall ceilings.
5. Rejuvenation This is something that would look good in ANY home. I love it in a dark navy, too!
6. Perigold Wide vertical planking with a shaker chair rail is so cute in this farmhouse!
7. Tim Barber Architects Imagine this bathroom without any added wall trim for one moment. It’s difficult because it IS the bathroom. Simplistic and impactful.
8. @houseofbrinson Bringing the drama in this bathroom with this layered board and batten that’s just the right scale.
9. Studio McGee Wide beadboard topped with a really wide board and simple 1×2 creates such a moment here.
10. Here’s another way to do headboard (a little thinner) with a chair rail on top for a more traditional vibe.
11. @the_fox_group floor to ceiling (truly!) paneling with all the trimmings is striking here!
12. Benjamin Moore This photo has it all–raised box wainscoting on the landing and chair rail below that’s more impactful with everything below it painted as well.
13. Garden Trading Fluted trim forever!
14. Cartelle Design shows how trim leaves the need for very little else on the walls. It is the art. This would be simple to get this look!
15. Amandine & Jules This trim is a lot more involved. I would love to line the hallways with this!
16. Molly Culver Photography or this!
17. @the_girl_with_the_green_sofa This straightforward board and batten can be achieved with minimal supplies, a few boards all the same width and paint!
18. @millcreek.manor I am so inspired by the millwork here. The mix of lines and distances and shapes is so interesting!
19. @nataliehaegemaninteriors This feels so casual and cozy–perfect for a bonus or family room.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
In case you missed the announcement in our Love Letter, the wallpaper is officially installed in the laundry room, and I could not be ANY MORE IN LOVE! My ultimate goal for the laundry room was to create a space that is fresh, clean, bright, and a little utilitarian (the straight-laid tile floors definitely bring that). With […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home