I am going to attempt to make this a quick post so I can try to get more of this paneling painted before Greta wakes up from her nap. It's always a race against nap time over here, I tell ya. Yesterday, we left you with our baseball-hall-of-fame-esque paneling.
Last night we continued the quicky project and tackled the horizontal pieces which required a little more measuring and cutting. In an ideal situation, since we measured and leveled all of the vertical pieces, it seems like all the horizontal ones should have been all the same length. Bada bing. Bada boom. But, no. There were slight variations.
We decided to measure all of the width's between for the top row, first and I wrote them down in a little hand-drawn graph of the wall and then we busted out all of those cuts at one time, writing down the measurement on the back of the cut to correspond with my little chart. And if you're like me, it is just easier to write 16 3/4"+1 (meaning one line to the right of 16 3/4") than figuring out what that measurement actually is.
Even though every horizontal piece got nailed into at least one stud, we also secured it with a squiggly of Liquid Nails. After they were hung, leveled and nailed, we repeated the whole process for the second row.
That whole process--the measuring, cutting, leveling, hanging, yadda yadda--only took us about an hour and fifteen minutes. Which we were stoked about because that gave us time to caulk and spackle--which ended up taking just as long.
This next picture is for my mom, and anyone else that might not think I do any of the work around here. Granted, I am usually behind the camera, but when I'm not--I'm holding a caulking gun, in this case, or paint roller or staring at a measuring tape trying to figure out measurements. I get down and dirty, too. I promise.
This morning, Greta "helped" me sand everything down, which ended up to be the perfect job for a toddler to help with because there really is no damage to be done. We sanded and sanded and sanded until the whole room was covered in dust, or "snow" (according to Greta) and the boards were nice and smooth.
Everything was covered. And while I still need to vacuum and dust the furniture and credenza, I did get all of the "snow" off the paneling ledges and gave it a good wipe down--and cracked open the can of paint. Speaking of which, I better get back to it. Can't wait to show you how everything turns out tomorrow!
Update: See the finished results here!