We received an especially helpful comment yesterday from one of our readers, Diane. She said in regards to our family room renovation plans:
You've obviously thought a lot about how you want the room to work for you..but what about aesthetics. Have you decided on a design inspiration yet...colors, art, textiles?
The last few days we have been doing some serious layout brainstorming (we have had to tweak some plans, more on that early next week), and haven't focused on putting all the fun details of how we want the room to feel all in one place. Until now. Here's the mood board for our family room:
That's a lot of inspiration right there, huh. Not everything is an actual piece we will obtain, but we hope to end up somewhere around this feel. Let's dive in:
1. We are still on the hunt for the perfect couch--but we are checking out this one this weekend. The 93" Lounge Sofa from Crate And Barrel is supposedly one of the comfiest couches in existence and deep (I could say "to boot" right here, but I'm not gonna). Here's hoping our bums agree with the reviews. Oh yeah, we dropped the sectional idea.
2. A lot of the base for this room will be varying tones of neutrals, so we plan on bringing in pops of color with fun throw pillows and other textiles. Chartreuse, teal, navy, chocolate and mustard and orange are all invited. These four pillows lined up are found here respectively: first, second, third, fourth.
3. Because we really want this place to feel relaxed, I love the idea of lots of framed posters above the couch. In simple black poster frames. Classic and cozy. Found here.
4. Almost mimicking the framed posters, I am dreaming of white curtains with black trim and of course bamboo blinds. The curtains should be easy enough to DIY right?
5. We plan on nixing our current ceiling fan and installing 6 recessed lights on a dimmer, for optimal movie watching, but the addition of a large arching floor lamp like this one will be perfect extending out. Can't wait!
6. Cutest mini globe, ever--that just so happens to hit on all of our accent colors.
7. This geometric, navy floor pouf will be perfect for propping up feet or lounging on the floor.
8. This dark, charcoal chaise from Ikea is a steal! I have searched high and low for reasonably priced chaises and this one just may be the ticket. Plus, it comes in loads of colors.
9. The dark chaise will definitely be broken up with some color, hopefully something like this mustardy houndstooth pillow. Mmmm.
10. Target has the best baskets for storage. I can see us having a few of these scattered throughout the room for all of Greta's toys.
11. A great, unexpected, warm accent chair like this cognac butterfly one from Urban Outfitters has me drooling. I love that it is classic and cozy without taking up too much square footage.
12. Ah, the Billy. We are going to be creating an entire wall of bookcases--you'll be seeing a lot of this guy.
13. The blue adjacent hallway/mudroom is staying, but the whole family room is getting a paint job. I am loving Pewter Cast by Sherwin Williams. You may have seen it on the walls of Kelly Moore's home.
So that's the round-up. We have a little bit of dirty work to do before we move the pretty stuff in, but you better believe we'll keep you posted every step of the way. Favorites?
Psst. Apartment Therapy featured our little Latt Hack today. Love them. Check it out here.