Have you ever been told while wearing an outfit you love, “That’s your color!“? It’s one of the greatest feelings, and it’s something I hear every time I wear this azure blue, long sleeve workout top. All of the recent Color School content got me thinking about the four color seasons – Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter – and how to dress accordingly. Surely this isn’t the first time you’ve heard of color typing, but if you’re interested in learning more and finding your color type, I found this post super helpful! I’ll be honest, I’m not 100% certain what my color type is, but I have an inkling I might be a Winter. And I’m certainly not wanting to limit my wardrobe exclusively to Winter colors, but I think color typing can be a great jumping-off point, especially if you don’t know which colors to wear!
If you’re a spring, you look your best in clear, warm colors, all with yellow undertones. Your overall coloring is bright and sunshiny, and the colors you look best in compliment your complexion rather than compete or wash you out.
1. Pippa Packable Puffer Jacket $198
2. Marina Sweater $225
3. Ora Recovery Slide 3 $60
4. The Texture Cotton Cardigan $97
5. Nike Rib Skirt $52
6. 327 New Balance Sneakers $100
7. Hailee Sweater Set $128
8. Hot Shot Onesie $70
9. Mini Belt Bag $38
10. 4 Pack Retro Sunglasses $16
11. The Harwich Striped Sweater $128
12. Stripe Camp Shirt $79
Summers have a soft, serene color palette. They typically look best in cool undertone pastels.
1. Crinkle Polo Crop Tee $39
2. Scuba Oversized Funnel Neck Half Zip $118
3. Shades of Sea Triple-Layer Necklace $78
4. Mason Pant $178
5. Midnight Round Sunglasses $25
6. Smocked Stripe Midi Dress $128
7. The Piazza Small Slouch Shoulder Bag $89
8. Harvey Sweatshirt $200
9. Maeve Slouchy Striped Long-Sleeve Tee $88
10. BaubleBar Tia Earrings $42
11. Charmesse Mini Cotton Dress $119
12. Ruched Puff-Sleeve Top $188
Autumn colors are easiest to recognize and remember if you think of the pretty fall colors we see every September or October – think of warm, rich, muted tones.
1. The Demi $225
2. Brushed Belrose Shirt-Jacket $199
3. The Selina Tall Boot $259
4. Lucie Cotton Cashmere Polo Sweater $106
5. Limited-edition Cropped Quilted Barn Jacket $198
6. The Cashmere Boxy Crew $102
7. Maya Knit Denim Quilted Jacket $139
8. Puff Sleeve Denim Midi Dress with Washwell $54
9. Crinkle Polo Crop Tee $39
10. Suede Color Block Retro Sneakers $89
11. The Transport Shoulder Crossbody Bag $158
12. Pierport Sunglasses $59
I’m pretty positive I’m a Winter! Winters look best in cool, clear jewel tones and blacks and whites. Winters are also the most common color type.
1. Embroidered Puff-Sleeve Dress $180
2. Lana Crossbody $69
3. Textured Jumpsuit $49
4. Agolde Leather Fitted ’90s Pants $348
5. Decker Cat Eye Sunglasses $40
6. Sarah Hann Karla Textured Top $88
7. The Tilda Slip Skirt $88
8. Bibi Lou Zagreb Leather Loafers $160
9. Relaxed Buttondown $98
10. Ramson Western Boot $139
11. The Point $149
12. Rhode Veronica Puff-Sleeve Blouse $265
Within each season are even more subtypes, such as soft, deep, clear, and warm, so if you’re still finding yourself stumped, you can look through this more extensive guide. Which color are you? Does your wardrobe reflect your type?
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home