I don’t claim this taco salad to be authentically Mexican, but I do claim it to be genuinely delicious. Great for groups, kids, or even a weekday dinner at home, this dish was a favorite of mine all growing up, and is now a favorite of my own family. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and will be requested again and again.
Mom's Taco Salad
A delicious taco-inspired salad that takes less than 30 minutes to make and will be an ongoing favorite for anyone you make it for.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lbs ground meat chicken, beef, turkey, or pork
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 zucchini squash chopped
- 5-6 tbsp taco seasoning
- 10 oz bag romaine lettuce pre-washed and cut
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper any color, small diced
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber any variety, small diced
- 1-1 1/2 cups tomatoes any variety, quartered
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small can sliced olives
- 1/2 cup canned black beans drained, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar, colby, or pepper jack
- 10 oz tortilla chips crushed (Frito's® brand suggested)
- 1 small handful cilantro chopped (optional)
- 3/4-1 cup thousand island dressing
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and zucchini and sweat for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground meat and taco seasoning and cook until done, stirring around frequently to break up any large bits of meat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except for the thousand island dressing. Toss together evenly. Once the meat has cooled almost to room temperature, add it and the dressing and mix until everything is coated evenly. Serve immediately.