Though Jules can’t eat grain, soy or dairy, that doesn’t mean we can’t all still enjoy a plate of nachos together! This is a great version that is friendly for many restricted diets, but good enough that the whole family (even the kids) will love it.
Healthy Nachos (grain, soy & dairy free)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini small diced
- 1 medium yellow onion small diced
- taco seasoning see below
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 10 mini sweet bell peppers stem removed, cut in half, scooped out
- 10 leaves endive
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella regular cheese if preferred
- 1 small avocado peeled, pit removed, diced
- 1 lime
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves
- salsa your favorite kind
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a cast iron pan, add the olive oil, zucchini, onion, taco seasoning, garlic, and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the onion turns translucent and the tomatoes break down. Add a couple tablespoons of water if needed to loosen the fond from the pan.
- Add the ground turkey and cook on medium low heat until no more moisture remains in the pan.
- On a pizza pan, spread out the peppers and endive evenly in one layer. Top with 1/2 cup of the vegan cheese.
- Add the meat and vegetable mixture over the peppers and endive and top with the remaining cheese. Put under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese just melts.
- Mix the avocado with a squeeze of lime juice from the lime. Season with salt and toss together. Spread it on top of the nachos along with a few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa and the cilantro leaves. If you like, give another squeeze of lime juice evenly across the nachos.