One of the very first memes I saw when this pandemic was just starting to pick up in the US, read “Check on your extroverted friends. They are not okay!” If you are hosts at heart and have been going through entertaining withdrawals like us, playing games virtually with our friends has been a little band aid on our social distancing wounds. We wanted to share with you some of the popular tried and trues and even some that maybe you didn’t even know were out there! All of these games can be played on your phone, via apps or using a browser, allowing you to play with your friends remotely. And to kick your social game into high gear, use a video conferencing site like Hangouts or Zoom, so you can actually see the gasps, laughs, and face palms as you play! This is highly recommended for our first 2 picks, which are in the Jackbox.tv realm of games.
Here’s how to get set up:
Let’s get into it!
1. Drawful 2: Free to Own on Stream Until April 11th! If you’re a Pictionary buff, Drawful 2 turns the point scoring to the players and even lets you provide your own promptings! Definitely at the top of the list for the level of fun, as well as their current offer that’s too good to refuse.
2. The Jackbox Party Packs ($): Now in its 6th iteration of the made-for-parties collections of games, these packs feature games that have become staples in online gaming, such as Quiplash, Fibbage and the classic You Don’t Know Jack! Each pack contains a collection of games that provide very different (and hilarious) experiences for friends and families.
3. Catan Universe (Free w/purchases) & Catan VR ($): Catan is the “new” Monopoly. There, I said it. It is regarded as the game that kickstarted the newest era of board gaming (for some people, the Golden Age of board gaming). If you have VR enthusiasts in your circles (I know a couple of them), Catan VR is the same as being on a virtual tabletop and playing the game. The. Same.
4. Poker (free, as it should be!): select your favorite app (WSOP and Zynga are probably the best out there), have your friends on a group Facetime call, and a fun Texas Hold’em night has begun! (or any other variants). You can set up your own private rooms, and have 8 players on the table. No real money to buy-in, keeping the fun healthy and friendly!
5. Boggle With Friends (free w/purchases): a distant cousin of this classic, Wordscapes, has become one of the most popular apps in the world. However, the fun in Boggle is not finding a list of words, but to find more words than your opponent! Boggle WithFriends lets you recreate the fast pace of this beloved classic. Definitely worth a few rounds or more.
6. Ticket To Ride ($): anywhere you see a copy of Catan on a shelf, you will most likely see this modern classic too. So easy to learn and even more satisfying to play, it’s one of those games that you don’t even care if you didn’t win. Have all your friends download the app and you’ll be traveling all over the globe in this fun train track competition.
7. Clue ($): playing the classic mystery game on an actual, physical table, feels very outdated nowadays, but still nostalgic. However, playing it on the app feels surprisingly intuitive… almost as if this is how it was always meant to be. At a relatively low buying price, Clue will provide you with hours of mystery solving, and revive the sibling argument of who gets to be Miss Scarlet!
8. Pandemic ($): (is it too soon?) Pandemic completes the trinity of the modern classic (the other two being Catan and Ticket to Ride). Limited to 4 players, this game will have your team work together to stop a pandemic from spreading across the world. It can be unforgiving and brutal…okay maybe it’s too soon, but the payoff of finding the cure together and saving the world could be the pick-me-up we all need right now.
9. Perudo ($): Ok, this is the game that Davy Jones and his crew played in Pirates of the Caribbean! Anyone? Also known as “Liar’s Dice,” tensions and fun run so high in this game!
10. Puerto Rico: No other game has been ranked #1 for as long as this one, and thanks to its tutorial mode, learning this game is a breeze for anyone. Puerto Rico never disappoints, and is always a standout at any game night.
11. Psych! (free w/purchases): From the Ellen family of games with Heads Up!, Pysch is a hilarious game blending trivia and bluffing, challenging everyone in the room to geniously craft an answer to each question. Here, playing is the reward. Winning or losing comes second.
12. Uno! (free): You know how to play this. You also know how not to play this. You also know that you’ll play this game anytime someone challenges you, because everyone is good at Uno!. The app does a great job of scaling up the tabletop experience. You know how, you know when, and you know why to play Uno! Go for it!
13. Risk (free): If there’s something you probably have a little more of now, it’s time. What better heavy-weight game to tackle when days are just blending together anyway! Risk is the “people’s champ” of war gaming. It’s a legend. It’s long. It did an incredible job transitioning to an app. It has a Pass-n-Play version, if you’re playing with others in your house, and also lets you play with friends remotely.
And one more you may want to try out…
14. Tabletop Simulator : This is not a game per se, but a platform in which you can play any board game. Any. Board game. Setting the games up is, admittedly, a task for the tech-savvy. However, using the interface is not. Anyone who can point and click on a computer can play a game on Tabletop Simulator. Ask your friends to learn the rules of your favorite game, buy it (or recreate it) on Tabletop Simulator, and jump right into the vast universe of board gaming.
What are you waiting for? Make tonight, game night!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home