Last Saturday we shared a bunch of Small Business and discounts to encourage you to support them during this time of economic uncertainty. And today, I wanted to shed light on another kind of small business–content creators. Chris Loves Julia employs and supports 8 different families (we’re a small business!) and I know so many other bloggers, instagrammers, influencers, youtubers–we’ll call them all content creators–employ photographers, graphic designers, editors, accountants, crafters, stylists, etc. to put content out on a consistent basis.
During this pandemic, we’re all digesting more web content than ever, but like many other jobs, content creators are having to shift gears. The creators who make the content you love are able to do so through the generous support of sponsors and affiliate revenue from the products you love and buy with your hard-earned money. Some sponsorships have been put on hold. Some have dissolved. Understandably, we’re all a little more cautious with our spending, so some have seen affiliate marketing decrease. The good news is that there are a lot of FREE ways to support your favorite content creators (and keep them making the content you love!). Consider supporting the online creators you love most by:
- Like/Comment on Instagram photos. If it makes you pause, like it. If it makes you smile, leave a comment!
- Share accounts, individuals and projects that inspire and wow you! (You don’t have to be an “influencer” to share the love. It makes our day every time.)
- Tag the source in the first line of a photo you share. This photo by @__________ should not be hidden or after the fold.
- Turn on post notifications so you don’t miss a thing!
- Visiting the actual website. While Instagram and other social platforms don’t have a built in way for creators to monetize, we make change every time anyone goes to chrislovesjulia.com. Every. time.
- Tag A Friend in the comments on Instagram. It’s the fastest way to introduce new people to what caught your eye.
- Disable Ad Blockers. Not only does this prevent creators from receiving any compensation for their work, but it has started blocking sponsored posts as well! Which, in our case, are some beefy, informative posts like painting cabinets and over-grouting our fireplace. Sponsors jump in and pay for these projects so we can keep working.
- Enable cookies. These track your activity so that the next time you DO buy something (say, on Amazon), if your search started with a link on a blog, the creator earns a small commission with no extra cost to you.
- Make Your Purchase Through An Affiliate Link. Not everything you’ll buy online is affiliated, but did you know that buying something through your favorite creator’s affiliate link won’t cost you any extra? Brands love affiliate marketing because they only pay if something is actually purchased and they build it into their marketing budgets like any other kind of advertising.
- Leave comments. Tell us what you think! This is a community built on support and we love hearing your feedback.
- Click on links. This is how our brand partners measure your interest and our success. We try to code EVERY link to open in a new tab so you’ll never miss your spot.
- Subscribe to the YouTube channel if they have one. And then pop some popcorn, and watch some great content :)
- Join the mailing list. A lot of your favorite creators have a weekly newsletter with bonus content. (Have you signed up for Love Letter?) We NEVER ever ever give your email to anyone else. It’s just a way for us to stay connected with you in case other outlets go kaput, and provide more exclusive content (and highlighting some old favorites from the archives).
We have some great content planned in the coming weeks and appreciate all of your active support! This is a community and we’re so glad you’re here!