Thank you so so much for all the love and support and shares from our closet reveal yesterday. It was such a labor of love and excitement and it means so much to us when we feel like you’re celebrating the completion along with us. It was our followers that suggested we make it a closet in the first place and I can’t even imagine it anything else now. It’s my new favorite room in our home. Thank you, sincerely, for everything. For being here through so many ups and downs. And course corrects and learning moments. It all makes reveal day so much more fun!
We’re already moving on as I mentioned Wednesday, the guest room is getting some attention—again. Earlier this week, I spent hours choosing a paint color for the guest room. I wanted something dark so the treadmill would blend in a little more in the corner and the navy striped head board would pop a little. After so much time, I decided on Farrow & Ball’s Down Pipe. The perfect charcoal with a lot of warm green/blue undertones. It was settled.
The next day, a friend was talking to me about what color she wanted to paint her front door, “I was thinking of using Down Pipe like you.”
…. … “Wait…I didn’t I tell you I was painting the guest room Down Pipe, did I? I just decided last night. Are you a psychic?”
“Julia…you painted your office wall Down Pipe.” (oh my gosh, I did!!)
How did I not remember that?! The information threw me into a tailspin, not only because I spent hours choosing a color I already chose and never once remembered, but because do I want to repeat colors?
I think that repeated paint colors can absolutely work to unify a home, but with something so bold, I’m hesitant. And then I started thinking about the adjoining theater room and how we want THAT to be darker so maybe the guest room should have light walls with contrast trim?
And then I stumbled upon this room (source) and it’s all bets off.
More fun things this week.
• Shea and Syd McGee’s book, Make Life Beautiful, is available for pre-order right here! I got a preview of it and their story is incredibly inspiring. You’re going to love it.
• I’ve rarely met a tennis shoe I didn’t like, but I fell hard for these retro running shoes (and doubly so when I saw the price! Score!)–I snatched them up so fast and can’t wait to take them for a spin!
• I’m talking to everyone I know about this podcast episode. Museums are hoarders and their rules and practices will blow your mind.
• I just stuck one of these “love handles” to the back of my phone case and it’s LIFE CHANGING. Flat, but stretchy and can stick to any phone case to make it easy to hold on to. I’ve tried so many phone cases over the years and I feel like this is all I ever needed.
• Confession: I ordered this table lamp 2 months ago, but didn’t want to tell you until I got it because sometimes the influx in orders makes my order go on back-order. But now it’s here and it’s bananas. SO GOOD.
• Extra 40% off Sale on Madewell with code GIANT (some things are an extra 50% off!) Here are my picks!
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home