In Tuesday’s post I mentioned that I got the itch to paint something. We had been planning on turning the music room into a jewel box — a bold, color in the middle of our Alabaster-walled home. I was leaning toward blue/green/gray, but after fanning out all of my paint swatches, I surprised myself by going with Benjamin Moore’s “Fading Twilight,” a moody, warm, dramatic color that is everything I wanted. Since this photo was taken, I’ve also replaced the outlet covers and unrolled a rug. But the whole process, from idea to pulling off the painter’s tape, took only a few hours (and that includes *going* to the store and getting the paint). I guess my point is… it’s a long weekend. Paint something! It’s more thrilling than riding a roller coaster.
Other fun things this week!
• Daniel Kanter’s Bluestone Cottage kitchen reveal has my jaw dropped all the way to his reclaimed yellow pine flooring. I was practically blinking through tears when I read that the room started with no plumbing, heating, electric… what?! Miracle-worker.
• Madewell is having an extra 30% off sale with code GIANT. The prices are too good to pass up. (These jeans are a staple if you need a place to start.)
• @beginninginthemiddle’s marble tile has me all heart-eyed thinking about our own bathroom renovation — starting this month!
• Did you know? Baby owls sleep face down because their heads are too heavy to hold up. (this is true and hilarious and astonishing!????)
• Brb — I gotta go hang a little broom on a little hook. (Eee!)
• We put up a pool on the sport court yesterday. This Idaho summer is already hot, and last year’s blow-up pool totally killed the grass. So as much as I’ll miss the occasional game of tennis with Greta (well, the way *we* play tennis), this felt like a good investment into a cool summer. —Though the swimming pool of the year award definitely goes to Bri Moysa. That chic adult-swim stock tank pool + DIY deck for $600?! Pool party at her place.
• June was a whirlwind! Finished the closet, cleared out the garage, and made so much progress on the exterior! Check it all out in June’s Day-to-Day video, below.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
The next project we’re checking off our 2023 project list is the mudroom! This used to be the laundry room until we built out a much bigger, better laundry room upstairs. So, in the meantime, this space has been exclusively Cricket’s room. Cricket will still have a special space here, but we’re transforming this dingy […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home