Last week our glider for the nursery arrived! I shared several I was deciding between here and ended up going with one I didn’t list–the Graham glider from West Elm. I almost went with the Sweep Swivel chair that I depicted, but after learning it just swiveled and didn’t glide, I decided on the Graham in Dove Gray.
Sadly, we can’t unwrap it just yet because of our flooring project, but the chair is a good size and nice, warm and soft gray that can transition to any other room down the line. I pulled the trigger during President’s day, so I got a screaming deal on it–which is always a perk.
I opted out of the matching ottoman for a couple reasons. First, matchy matchy. But also, I don’t particularly like gliding ottomans. I prefer something to ground myself–something stationary I can push off of. Aaanndd, I already found this beaut for $2.50 at the thrift store:
Okay, it’s not the most beautiful or vintage-chic find ever, but the height was right. It was stationary. Cheap and full of potential. In thirty minute’s time and with a few things I had around the house, I gave her a little makeover:
The legs of the ottoman were a fake, bad brass that had chipped in a lot of places.
After unscrewing it from the top, I gave it a few light coats of gold spray paint (the same I used for the frame of baby F’s giant letter art here).
Krylon’s gold spraypaint is a little more of a rose gold, in my opinion–which is exactly what I wanted for this room so it worked beautifully. If you want something a little less rose gold and a truer brass or warm gold, this gold spray paint comparison post might be helpful. While the legs were drying, I tackled reupholstering the top. It just took one of Ikea’s faux sheepskins I had around the house and a little hot glue.
I started out using a staple gun, but the underside of the cushion was pretty much cardboard, so they wouldn’t stay secure. The glue gun worked much better. Also, word to the wise: cutting one of these faux furs is a little bit messy initially. I trimmed some of the edges and worried that I had made a critical error as it seemed the whole thing was unraveling. But after securing the edge in place with a little glue, I could see that just the long strands where I had cut had come off exposing a fluffy underside. Everything but that row was still attached. Just a head’s up, don’t panic.
I reattached the base and that was that–my little thrift store score had a new life.
I like that it looks a lot more expensive than $2.50, or even $20 (for the faux sheepskin + spray paint + ottoman if I did have to go buy those)–but it’s not precious. I hope it lasts a good long time, but since it is living in the nursery, I feel so much better spending pennies on an ottoman I love maybe just as much as one I could have spent hundreds on.