Apparently fall is right around the corner, but based on how nice and warm the weather is in Raleigh, the Idaho girl in me is still a little confused on how it’s ever going to cool down haha. We’ve heard nothing but incredible things about fall here and I can’t wait to see the leaves on all the monstrous trees turn colors, and to spend our evenings enjoying the more mild fall weather on the patio. Sounds like a dream. When it comes to decorating around the seasons, I make some shifts in my home, but I’ve shifted away from covering my porch in 100 pumpkins (I don’t even know if pumpkins would last longer than a day in this climate).
Instead, I focus on incorporating patterns, artwork, textures, and finishes that are more representative of the season. I’ve posted about Winter Decor, sharing more in-depth on how I decorate seasonally. Spoiler alert: I don’t need my decor to tell me what season it is. I have windows for that :).
Fall is no different. A great place to start is by lighting a few really great fall candles and, lucky for you we tested a bunch of them and shared a list of our top 21 favorites. A few of you might actually remember the time I decorated for fall in real time in my Instagram stories and shared it here. I really focused on creating an autumn feeling with practical items–apples, branches cut from outside, a cookbook opened to a fall recipe displayed on a stand.
That’s really all you need–practical and true-to-season. Today we’re sharing a round-up of all the fall-decor essentials you might rotate through your home seasonally to keep things fresh and, especially for fall, cozy. I’m talking sitting in front of a fireplace with a blanket and a cup of homemade apple cider cozy. Many I already have but a few I’m going to go put in my cart right now – what does your home look like in the fall?
1. Teak Serving Bowl $58 – a beautifully carved bowl, perfect for holding apples or dried artichokes
2. Frame TV Art $3 – say hello to the most beautiful fall landscape I’ve seen
3. Roslyn Table Lamp $248 – I’ve been obsessing over this lamp so much I just might have to get it for myself
4. Olive Taper Candles $5 – tapered candles but let’s make them olive instead of white
5. Country Etching Art $235 – a classic country etching to hang wherever you heart desires
6. Checkered Doormat $58 – loving the subtle checkered print on this so much
7. Color Block Stripe Throw $23 – everybody needs a knit throw blanket for fall
8. Estelle Block Print Tablecloth $128 – would be a gorgeous tablecloth for a dinner party
9. Linen Rattan Basket $80 – perfect for any front porch
10. Ribbed Ceramic Candle $36 – there’s even 3 excellent scents to choose from
11. Wynn Wicker Tray $98 – love to corral my candles in this tray
12. Pogo Brass and Cane Table Lamp $249 – you had me at pleated shade
13. Faux Aspen Branch $29 – imo you can’t have too many fall branches
14. Sage Boucle Throw $45 – throw it over a sofa and you’re ready for fall
15. Fraiser Handcrafted Etched Vase $89 – the curves of this are *chef’s kiss
16. Faux Artichokes $25 – using dried artichokes is a fun way to add in some color
17. DISC Interiors: Portraits of Home $60 – every coffee table needs at least one coffee table book
18. Rustic Vase $25 – this just feels very fall to me–the color, the imperfect texture
19. Woven Striped Throw Pillow $30 – woven, and oversized (everything I want in a pillow)
20. Gingham Napkin $88 – can’t go wrong with gingham
21. Sage & Walnut Candle $65 – what more do you want in a fall candle?
22. Gingham Napkins $16 – the cutest little napkins there are
23. Antique Wood Pedestal $40 – such a great way to prop up your dish and handsoaps
24. Hand Woven Jute Rug $45 – I love a good jute rug
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home