Last week, shortly after our podcast came out about How to Grow Your Instagram account, I felt inspired to share some Instagram accounts that are doing it all right, but still haven’t reached that magical number of 10,000 followers. It’s not infrequent that I see a post pop up in my feed about top instagrammers to follow–and they generally highlight accounts that already have a healthy following, for good reason–those accounts, and the people behind them, are amazing, have vision and work hard at it!
But what about the smaller accounts that are doing amazing things, too? I made a call in my stories for any smaller accounts (with less than 10K followers), that post their own beautiful photos (no inspiration accounts), and are home based. My inbox flooded. There are a lot of good ones out there, but here are the top 15 (I could NOT narrow it down to 10!) that I’m especially excited about right now:
1. @mysimplysimple | Indianapolis | current following: 840
Kelsey and her husband Tyler are renovating their 1939 bungalow and the results are show-stopping. I mean, this kitchen!
2. @jeanstofferdesign | Chicago + West Michigan | current following: 5,172
Jean Stoffer is an interior designer who specializes in custom kitchen and bath design, but every nook she touches turns to gold. I want to curl up here.
3. @restoring_home | current following: 3,425
Angela Mueller is experimenting with designing her midcentury modern home, but in my opinion, she’s nailing every angle.
4. @fahnestockhouse | Lancaster, PA | current following: 668
Shannon and her husband, Rich, are remodeling an 1880’s house while living in it and hosting guests. I love the way they are highlighting and paying homage to its incredible architecture.
5. @deucecitieshenhouse | Minneapolis | current following: 5,468
Alison Allen is a blogger whose home is a constant workplace for design and renovation. I’ve been inspired by her forever and am always surprised she doesn’t have more followers!
6. @jennapeffley | current following: 2,861
Jenna Peffley works with photography, advertising, and production. And while many of the interiors in her feed aren’t hers, she photographs them all for major publications like Lonny Mag and MyDomaine. I love seeing all the homes she gets to shoot and find myself taking notes.
7. @lexigracedesign | Gilbert, AZ | current following: 6653
Lexi Lundberg and her husband flip and stage houses and add all the finishing touches from their beautiful modern barn, which serves as their design studio.
8. @helmick_hacienda | Southern California | current following: 2,702
Laura Helmick is a home maker who is working on renovating her own home in Southern California. The photos are drool-inducing.
9. @mint.and.pine | Boise, ID | current following: 1,935
This awesome husband and wife duo work with home staging and design.
10. @courtneynye | Portland, OR | current following: 1,317
Courtney Nye is a residential and commercial interior designer and stylist that’s go-od. I’m obsessed with those chairs (and hey, I recognize that rug!) Girl’s got incredible taste.
11. @thechrisandclaudeco | Lancaster + Chester County, PA | current following: 5,695
Chris and Claudia Beiler work together on design, renovation, and real estate and share frequent snapshots of their own refreshingly interesting home.
12. @natasha_habermann | New York | current following: 7,846
Natasha Habermann is an interior designer and stylist that is currently remodeling her home in New York. She’s a master at small spaces and is currently tackling her library as a guest participant in the One Room Challenge.
13. @highstreethomes | Aledo, Texas | current following: 7,419
Brett and Kara Phillips are a husband and wife, builder and broker team, with a classically beautiful home. Their bedroom! A dream!
14. @thegritandpolish | Washington State| current following: 7,972
Cathy Poshusta and her husband fix up old houses while renovating their 1912 Farmhouse and they are some of the sweetest people I follow on Instagram. Their stories are always a joy and informative and the work they do is extremely respectful to the homes.
15. @thegoldhive@thegoldhive | San Diego, CA | current following: 2,900
Ashley Goldman is sharing her DIY journey of restoring a 1915 bungalow. I’m obsessed with the mural she’s hand-painting (!!!) as a part of the One Room Challenge.
I encourage you to follow these accounts for inspiring home design ideas (let’s get them to 10K and beyond!). And! I’d love to make this a semi-regular feature. So, if you’re trying to grow your instagram account, consider:
1. Listening to our podcast. We cover a lot of real tips and pointers for doing it completely organically.
2. Reading this post I wrote over a year ago when we hit our first 50,000, containing everything we personally did over the course of 6 months to go from 4,000-50,000 followers.
3. Becoming involved in the Instagram niche you’re passionate about. If you love home design, like, comment, follow and participate in that community on Instagram!
Slow clap for these 15 accounts, you’re inspiring.