I feel like gray paint colors were so incredibly overused a few years ago, but then a lot of people accidentally chose cool grays to paint entire rooms and instead of a trendy living room, they got a nursery and kind of swore off the color. But now cool gray is having a resurgence. We learned from our mistakes–and these blue gray tones are showing up in the best best ways. I’m deeply inspired and wanted to share a few favorites with you.
1. Boothbay Gray by Benjamin Moore used in Rachel Parcel’s entry. The color is captivating. It has so much depth and is a welcomed surprise for a front door–right?!
3. @amberinteriors used Manor House Gray by Farrow & Ball for these playroom shelves and it’s the perfect backdrop for the toys and accessories–right? I love that it feels warm and cool in areas and those chameleon paint colors stay interesting for a long time. It’s so good!
4. Mawr Design nailed the perfect grayed out greenish-blue cabinet color for this laundry area. Sherwin Williams Oyster Bay, mixed with that floor tile–I’m swooning!
5. @natashalevak brought the trend into the kitchen painting base cabinets Water’s Edge by Benjamin Moore for just a hint of color.
6. I’ve shared this image before so it’s no secret I’m a fan of @ispydiy’s use of Silver Celadon by Behr on their doors and trim. It’s sophisticated and interesting and just right.
7. Most of these examples have been on doors or trim because that’s where trends are going right now, but @benjaminmoore shared this photo of Metropolitan (their color of the year) on the walls and I’m here for it.
8. @jhinteriordesign shows how to do this light cool gray right. The cooler tones work if you’re aware of what they are and how to use them. Like playing them up as a pale, gray, blue-green with coordinating accents.
9. Francois_et_moi used International Gray by Kilz on this beadboard entry and mixed it with complementary golden colors to play up the blues! Genius!
10. Room For Tuesday mixed two gray-blues in her bathroom and the tone on tone is sophisticated and sweet–but not too sweet.
Lesson learned? If you’re looking for a perfect blue–look to the grays. And if you’re looking for the perfect gray, I mean, maybe check out the cool tones. I love it especially for trim and doors!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Almost daily I get asked what I would call my home style. I don’t like to box myself in, but I definitely lean Modern Traditional with an emphasis on comfort when it comes to our home. This especially came up when I shared our Powder Bath Reveal on the blog. I think it changes slightly […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home