Grilled Steak Tacos with Pickled Radish & Onions
A non-traditional but super delicious take on steak tacos. Gluten, dairy, grain, soy, egg free, and easily made nut free by leaving out the macadamias.
For the steak
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
For the pickled vegetables
- 4 limes
- 1/2 cup coconut vinegar or white distilled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 6 cloves garlic peeled, gently smashed
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 7-8 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilis sliced
- 1/2 head white cabbage thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew yogurt optional
- tortillas and/or butter lettuce leaves
Heat the grill and prep the steak
Make the pickled vegetables
Whisk together the juice of 3 1/2 limes, the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the smashed garlic, sliced onion, radish, and toss to coat evenly. In a separate bowl, squeeze the juice from the remaining 1/2 lime over the sliced serrano chilis. Add the salt and pepper, and gently toss to coat.
Prep everything else
While the steak cooks and your vegetables pickle, prep everything else. Toss together the cabbage and cilantro. Chop the macadamias and stir the cashew yogurt until smooth. When the steak is finished, let it rest for 10 minutes then cut it into cubes.
Assemble the tacos
On each tortilla or lettuce leaf, add a bit of the steak, followed by the cabbage/cilantro, then the pickled radishes and onions. Then the macadamias, cashew yogurt, and a few serrano chilis if desired (they're spicy so, optional).