Every year around this time, a major fire is lit under us and we get a lot done on the house in preparation for our big Halloween Costume party we throw every year. This year, our party is on the 24th and the invitations just went out. Maybe you caught the annual invite photo (we’ve learned it really drives the whole “wear-a-costume” thing) on instagram?
Greta got to pick whatever she wanted at the grocery store for keeping a straight face in this photo. (She picked a blue SunnyD. Haha!) So now that the invites are out, the timer is set to get a slew of projects done. Last year, we redid our main floor guest bath just in time. The year before that, we painted our living room a dark charcoal and added paneling. This year, there are a lot of things.
1. Finish the baseboards. We got everything cut and in place over the weekend. We need to finish nailing a few in, patch, caulk and touch up with paint. Sneak peek:
2. Paint all the door and window trim in the main area. Bonus points–paint the doors! Now that our baseboards are a nice, bright, clean white, the other trim is looking dingy as ever. And the doors, too. When I touch up the baseboards, I plan on giving all the trim a fresh coat of white paint. (I say that like it’s a 10 minute job. ha!)
3. Put together a new art wall in the living room. I have been collecting some new art for the main area and we’d love to rework what we have and maybe build some picture ledges so that we can streamline it a little, since I like to rotate art so much. I’m very, very excited for this project.
4. Finish Greta’s room! We’re 98% there. I just need to hang some pictures and some hooks. It’s always the last few things that take forever. Why is that?
5. Fix the exterior lights. Funny story. When we took out the closet in the laundry area, we must have crossed a wire because our exterior lights haven’t worked since. Wah. WAhhhh. Now that it’s getting darker earlier, it’s becoming a priority project. Plus, you can’t have a dark house on Halloween!
6. Rework the entry. Our assignment from Ace this month is all about creating a welcoming entry. And although we did update it a bit, now that we’ve lived with it–there are a few things we’d like to change, in addition to a new bench that we talked about here.
7. As a bonus project (read: last priority), I’d love to tackle painting the stairwell banister and stairwell walls (not sure why we never painted those!). We would like to eventually replace the banister, but paint would be a cheap and easy update. Not quick though. Not. Quick.
Those 7 projects are on deck for the next 19 days. It’s the most wonderful time of the year around here so although there’s a lot of work to be done, we’re in good spirits. It’s what we, in the biz, like to call party time.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
Last week, Chris and I had the incredible opportunity to travel to London for work. We were invited by Williams Sonoma and William Morris and Co to preview their newest collaboration and the inspiration behind it. It was my first time in London and although it was a quick trip, they brought us all over […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home