(Above, the girls bags are from Walker Family Goods. I also got them each a matching backpack to use as their carry on. They’re cute and I’m feeling very color-coded and organized! We got this cargo box.)
Last Casual Friday I mentioned that we are preparing for our 5 day road trip across the country and asked for readers to leave comments on the blog with their road trip tips. You! Delivered! With over 300 clever tips (seriously, make sure you scroll through the comment section next time you’re planning a road trip), I had plenty of solid ideas and creative ideas to boost my confidence and honestly–I’m getting a little excited about it. I want this trip to be fun and memorable for the girls, while keeping in mind that it’s going to be a little hard on everyone, so today I thought it would be fun to share some things that we are planning, plus a round-up of ALL the essentials for a family-fun r0ad trip.
We also put together a round-up of all the road trip essentials you might need if you have an upcoming long-drive. Honestly even having some of these things stocked in your car could be a game changer for even those longer drives.
1. Backseat Organizers $25 Essential for keeping the car clutter-free. They also protect the back of your seat from shoe scuffs!
2. Wipes $4 These are THE best smelling wipes in the world. They will almost make you forget your wiping up sticky messes. A necessity.
3. Rubber Neckers Travel Game $13 A hilarious car game of “I Spy.”
4. Mega Maze $10 Dry erase mazes to keep the kids busy.
5. What If Questions for Kids $10 101 thought-provoking questions for kids! So grateful for games like this that help kids hone their decision-making skills and practice making good choices.
6. License Plate Game $19 I mean, is it even a road trip if you don’t play the license plate game? This one flips open so it’s easy to keep track!
7. Car Bingo $10 Hand out the bingo sheets to the kids and maybe they can have a treat when they get a bingo!
8. Handheld Vacuum $40 The spills are inevitable so you might as well be prepared. I love that this one is TINY and powerful.
9. Crayola Mess Free Coloring $9 Mess free coloring on the go.
10. Motion Sickness Lollipops $13 A necessity for our girls.
11. Headphones $17 For everyone’s sanity
12. Wikki Stix $6 These little moldable crafting sticks would keep my girls occupied for hours
13. Disposable Cameras $25 The kids can take their own photos along the way. Don’t forget to develop the film and put the photos in a little memory book.
14. Rush Hour Traffic Logic Jam $22 Have you played this?? This was my favorite game growing up and it’s still as fun today. You arrange the cars in a little traffic jam and have to slide them forward or backward to get the red car free. So entertaining.
15. Motion Sickness Bracelets $13 My sister Andi swears by these and even uses them on planes.
16. Headrest Pillow Support $24 just some added comfort for your little ones.
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home