At the beginning of every year, we love to lay out our project goals, things we’re aiming to check off! At the end of the year, we look back and see how we did (you can see last year’s report card right here). This is already shaping up to be a busy year, which is why it’s the third week and I’m just now writing this!, but at the same time it feels weird to only have a couple small items on our list for our home. I never thought I’d say it, but our house is pretty much d-o-n-e! What?! It doesn’t feel real, but at the same time it feels so good.
There are two things that we’d like to tackle at our primary home this year to really finish it off.
1. The Stairwell. We’ve done a lot here already. I mean, a lot! Added a new railing and new lighting and painting and updated the carpet and landing. But it still doesn’t feel done. Do we add box trim to the walls? Not? Still undecided. But I know for sure we want to patch all the holes in the walls we made years ago when I hung a gallery wall. Finally caulk the baseboard and touch up the paint.
2. Outdoor lighting. The only other thing on the list for our own home (I think!) is adding some pretty uplighting outside. We have your standard porch lights, garage lights and even corner lights under the eaves. But I’d really love to light up our home at night! There are a lot of houses on our street that have it and it makes it look so homey.
The rest of the projects on our list this year take place at our a-frame.
3. Finish the Kitchen! We have a really good head start here. The appliances are getting here next week (fingers crossed!), our island is about 6 weeks out, we need to tile the backsplash and add a hood. It’s a small kitchen, but I already can’t believe how far it has come.
4. Brace yourself–we have 4 bathrooms at the cabin to do. Although none are complete guts–I don’t think. We want to update the tile floors. 2 need new vanities and mirrors. One is brand new (which will be the most work) and the loft bathroom just needs paint in addition to new flooring. It feels a little overwhelming writing it all out, but we’re just going to take it one bathroom at a time.
5. Painting the downstairs–I know this doesn’t seem like it’s even worthy of a whole project slot on this list but I am counting on painting the basement of the cabin to completely transform the entire space. I’m excited for it. It’s all very poop brown right now and I don’t know if we’ll go light or dark but I’m so READY to get my paint on down there.
6. Lake bedroom–We discussed our plans for this space in this post, but downstairs we converted an open area that used to just have a pool table, into a bedroom and bathroom (the first photo above is where we are now). We’re calling it the Lake bedroom because it has the most amazing views of the water. When it’s done, it will be the master bedroom since it’s the only one with an en suite. But right now, it’s rough. All the leftover, squeaky furniture. All the brown walls. It really needs window coverings and light fixtures…maybe some pretty wallpaper! We’re excited to make it really special.
7. Crow’s Nest– In the loft, above the bathroom and spanning across the french doors, we’d really love to add a little crow’s nest. An extra, fun place for the kids to climb up and play.
8. Laundry room–Although last on this list, the laundry room is one of our highest priorities right now. We currently don’t have a washer or dryer up there and it is really the only thing left that is hindering full enjoyment spending time up there. Hauling bedding and towels back and forth. Making sure we bring lots of extra clothes. We have this on our list for February and are already starting lots of planning!
So that’s our plan for 2019. I think we can get the cabin done by the end of this year, although we’re not in a huge rush. What’s on your list for this year?