The three questions I seem to get over and over about our nursery are regarding the sound machine, video monitor and what space heater we recently added. So I figured it would be beneficial to put together a quick post outlining each so it can live permanently somewhere and not just in my instagram stories.
1. What Space Heater do we use? It must be finally getting cold everywhere else (it snowed here in October! Haha!) because this question is coming out of the wood work. A few months ago we added a little space heater to Polly’s nursery, specifically the Rowenta Silent Comfort Heater with Eco-Mode. We love this little thing that packs a lot of power. A few favorite features:
• It’s cool to the touch, even when it’s on, so we don’t have to worry about little hands getting burned.
• It turns completely off if it gets tipped–super safe design.
• We can set the temperature with a digital display and it will keep the room (up to 270 sq ft!) at that temperature at all times. Polly just transitioned out of her sleep suit, so we keep her room set to 72, while the rest of our home’s thermostat is 65 degrees at night.
• Silent setting for heat without noise when sleeping or reading.
• Cool Fan setting for cooling or ventilating a room; for warmer months.
• It has an option for an up-to 24 hour delay-start timer so you can warm up a room before waking up or coming home from work.
• It’s compact! I usually tuck it next to our glider and can’t even see it!
2. What Video/Baby Monitor do we have? We have the Yi Home Camera, and like it so much we bought 2 more for the girls’ bedroom and for the playroom downstairs. The picture is crystal clear, day or night, and is accessed through our phones–so we can always see what’s going on, even when we’re not home.
Here’s a screenshot of how it looks on my phone–I can pan the room by swiping my finger left or right.
It has crying detection (we opted to turn off since we sleep right across the hall) and a microphone feature, so when Chris was recently on a trip to NY, he was still able to say goodnight to the girls through the camera, or easily tell the girls to come upstairs if they are playing in the playroom without screaming down the stairs.
We have it mounted on the window in the nursery and we can see about 80% of the room. My sister with a baby the same age as Polly was visiting over Christmas and saw the monitor and ordered it on the spot. We recommend it to everyone and so far, all of our friends and family love it, too!
3. What Sound Machine do we have? This switched recently! We started with the myBaby Soundspa On-The-Go white noise machine. It was inexpensive (under $10!) and portable. But we tired pretty quick of changing batteries and within just a couple of months the waves sound (Polly’s favorite) died to one-note noise. I can see how this would be nice if you were traveling.
We now use the Marpac Dohm-DS All-Natural White Noise Sound Machine. Instead of a digital sound recording, this little device actually has a built in fan that creates the sound of rushing air (at two different speeds), without the movement of any actual air in the room. It has over 12,000 nearly five star reviews and we add our seal of approval there, too. It does an excellent job at drowning out the dog barking, the other girls screaming and any other noises so that Polly can sleep soundly.
Hope this is helpful! Feel free to chime in with your favorites, too!
We designed the Charly line of sofas, chairs, and ottomans with perfect proportions for comfort — with wide arms, a loungey depth, and stylish and practical lumbar pillows. Available in 70 kid-friendly, pet-friendly fabrics, this line was created with families in mind.
Our wood grain Shaker cabinet fronts were designed for busy, high-traffic homes like ours. Clad with durable textured thermofoils, this line is compatible with Sektion, Akurum, Godmorgon, and Besta cabinets from IKEA. It's the perfect, practical way to add the warmth of wood to all the rooms of your home.
We have teamed up with Loloi to create a line of rugs that are as affordable as they are beautiful. This collection houses a great mix of traditional and modern rugs, in cottage-y colorways, as well as vintage-inspired beauties that you’ll want to roll out in every room.
We partnered with Stuga on a line of hardwood floors — The Ingrid is really livable, and the color is very neutral. It doesn’t lean warm or cool, it’s that just right in-between. We have really loved putting it everywhere in our house. It’s the best jumping-off point for design, no matter your interior style. In addition to being beautiful, Ingrid is really durable — we have three kids, and we always have a home construction project going on. Ingrid stands up to it all.
Looking for our favorite things? A place to shop our home room by room, or just catch up on what Julia's wearing / loving right now? Browse the CLJ shop.
Befores, afters, mood boards, plans, failures, wins. We’ve done a lot of projects, and they’re all here.
We have a long-standing relationship with DIY, and love rolling our sleeves up and making it happen.
Even when you don’t want to rip down a wall, you can make that space in your home better. Right now.
When you’re gearing up to try something new, whether it be jumping off a cliff into a cool lake, expecting your first child, or buying a new home, you need a cheerleader in your corner. You know, a hype girl saying you got this! It’s going to be great! You can do it! I’m here […]
Another way for us to stay in touch! Joining our weekly newsletter gives you access to exclusive content, never-before-seen photos, your questions answered, and our favorite DIYs. Sign up below!
Make yourself right at home