Some fruits and vegetables generally taste the same year round, while others should really be in season to truly be appreciated. For me, cherries fall into the second group, which is unfortunate because I love fresh cherries. BUT! Cherry season is upon us, so let’s celebrate and use some cherries!
This shrimp salad really is something special. So fresh, great texture, super light, and easy to make. Oh, also it tastes like how a perfect golf swing feels. Not a universally appreciated analogy, but you get the point.
Shrimp Salad Endive Cups with Fresh Cherries
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup Veganaisse or regular mayo
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon juiced & zested
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bulb fennel white part only, chopped
- 1 lb shrimp pre-cooked, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cherries fresh, seed removed, roughly chopped
- 15-20 endive leaves big enough to hold some shrimp salad
- sprouts something neutral flavor like clover or alfalfa
- chives finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts choppped, toasted
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add the fennel, shrimp, and cherries and toss to coat evenly.
- On a large platter or serving board, lay your endive cups. Put a small bed of the sprouts in the bottom of each. Spoon some of the shrimp salad into each cup, and top with the chives and walnuts. Garnish with fresh cherries and serve to some lucky, lucky people.